Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back.

Start from the beginning

Tai chuckles.

"Although, that could use some work too."

Tai takes the towel and gives Zwei a rub on the top of his head, then as if on instinct, ruffles Y/N's hair too. Zwei hums happily as does Y/N, whose left leg starts moving in response as he smiles, still lost in his project. If Tai hadn't believed that Y/N was half wolf Faunus before, that solidified it. He looked like a dog getting scratches behind the ear and shaking their leg as a knee jerk reaction. Arms spread on the ground, Yang takes a breath before speaking.

"Meaning?"

Taiyang looks up from the curiosity that is Y/N, toweling off his sweat.

"I saw your tournament fights. During the Vytal Festival."

Yang groans.

"Let me guess."

She takes a second to change her voice before talking in a mocking accent.

"I was sloppy."

Taiyang chuckles once more. That wasn't a half bad impression.

"No, no, you were predictable. And... stubborn. And... maybe a little boneheaded."

Yang sits up and spins to stare at her father. Tai could have sworn that both Zwei and Y/N twitched at the word boneheaded.

Tai looks away from the two canines before he loses it laughing and turns back to his daughter.

"Do you realize that you used your Semblance to win every fight after the qualifiers?"

Yang huffs, spinning to have her back to him.

"So what? How is me using my Semblance any different than someone else using theirs? Titan's activates the second he senses danger or gets ready to fight!"

Tossing the towel on the ground, Tai moves toward Yang.

Tai shakes his head and points at Y/N.

"Your boyfriend is a special case...in so many ways. But also because not everyone else's is basically a temper tantrum."

He is now laughing and crouching by her side.

"I'm serious! Once you take damage, you can dish it back twice as hard, but that doesn't make you invincible! It's great when you're in a bind, but what happens if you miss? What happens if they're stronger? What then? Now you're just weak and tired! You've always been one to burn brighter than everyone else, whether it was with your smile, or, well, I remember your first haircut."

He playfully tugs the hair on the back of her head. Smiling, Yang bats him away. He chuckles and gets up, walking away a few paces with Zwei just behind him. Even Y/N is up on his feet, still playing with the thing in his hands, but following Tai blindly nonetheless.

Tai continues to talk to Yang.

"But you gotta keep your emotions in check. Keep a level head, and think before you act. Your Semblance is a great fallback, but you can't let yourself rely on it. It won't always save you."

He lowers his head, sadness creeping into his tone.

"Obviously. You definitely have your mom's stubbornness."

Taiyang faces one of the trees, not looking at Yang. Between the two of them, Zwei moves his head back and forth as each speaks. Y/N is silently rearranging the metal, oblivious to the world.

Yang cocks her head and raises an eyebrow.

"Oh, so now we can talk about her?"

Tai sassily shoots back.