Photos and Menagerie

Start bij het begin

Y/N took a deep breath and hugged the photos. He had them all backed up on a computer in the workshop, but the physical copies just held some extra meaning to him. He put them down on his desk and went to his dresser. He packed a few changes of clothes and some shorts for pajamas in his pack. He looks around, but only has the old pair of boots Yang brought him this morning. Y/N looked around the room looking for anything else he would need in the near future. For some reason, he felt like he would be gone much longer this time. Seeing nothing in his room, he slung his pack and carefully picked up the photos. He walked out to see Yang looking at a picture of Y/N when he was a kid, the first day he went to Signal Academy actually. She was smiling softly and caressing the photo. She looked at him as he came out and he laid down his pack. He set the three photos on the counter and gestured for her to follow him. 

When they went into the workshop, Yang brightened up.

"Oh yeah! Uncle Qrow brought Alpha to our house! He went back to Beacon just to get it. He said that it was the last thing from your mom. He didn't want it to be lost."

Y/N's whole face brightened as he heard that. 

"Well I was gonna ask if you think you'll need any tools for bumblebee, but if Alpha is still in the land of the living, I'll bring the whole tool kit to keep 'em both up and running. I'll also bring some tools to work on our weapons. Well I guess unless you have Parabellum, it's just gonna be me and Quake."

Yang shook her head.

"Uncle Qrow took that with him and left Quake to defend us."

Y/N looked a bit confused. 

"Huh?"

Yang chuckled.

"Oh yeah that's right you don't know. When Qrow found Quake, it was still pulsing with your flaming Aura. He brought it to my house and stuck it in the stump. At night, the flames could ebb and flow, and send wakes of fire to burn Grimm away from the house. Heck for a little bit before you came back, a spectral copy of you made from your Aura was killing the Grimm. We had no idea how you did it, but honestly I didn't care. Knowing that you were still here, even just a bit, was enough for me."

Y/N's jaw dropped to the floor. Yang actually got a hearty laugh out of it. She tilted her head.

"I guess we add it to the list of things that you can do but didn't know you apparently could?"

Y/N nods slowly and silently. Then he starts to rummage around on the workbenches for something mumbling to himself.

Yang couldn't hear it so she asked him to repeat it.

"What was that babe?"

Y/N turned to her with a childlike twinkle in his eye. 

"I'm so badass right? Like what kind a person can do all of this stuff?"

Yang smirked, glad he still had his man-child moments. 

"You apparently, Titan. And you're only just now realizing you're a badass?"

Y/N gave her a toothy grin and nodded vigorously. 

"Duh?! I mean before I was just a good fighter who was tall, now I'm like a secret wizard!"

Yang shook her head.

"Yeah secret from yourself ya dork. By the way, what are you looking for? Maybe I can help?"

Without turning, Y/N held up his hands in the size and shape of approximately half a sheet of paper.

"Two things. I'm looking for a metal mesh looking case about this big to put my three most precious photos in. I don't want them getting messed up. It's shockproof, waterproof, fireproof, and stab-proof. I made it myself when I was 14 for my family picture with Riley in it. Now I just have two more pictures...there it is!"