Vanessa squeals in excitement. "What! That's wonderful! Here I thought you'd stay down in the trenches and we'd have to dig you out. I'm so happy for you," the blabbering female gives me a side hug, rejoicing in the news.

     I laugh, hesitantly. My eyes flicker to Vaughn for help, but he only holds back a laugh. I flip him the bird.

     "Yeah.." I swallow. "Well, here's the thing—"

     Vanessa bursts right up in her seat as the waiter comes by with their drinks. "Don't tell me you didn't accept him? Especially during the Solace." Brown eyes widen in panic as she clings to my arm. Her finger nails leave indents of crescent moons in my arm.

      "Ah.. um, no.. not exactly—"

     "Did he reject you, or have another mate?"

     "Wait a second. Vanessa—"

     "Oh, don't tell me he's—"

     Vaughn scowls, "Nessie, shut the fuck up. She's trying to talk." His large hands pull the petite girl off me, readjusting her to her chair. The drinks have been settled on the table as the two twins sneer at one another.

     I swallow the anxiety in my chest. "He's the king." Was all I said and made the two fall silent at the words.

     The two turn to me in admiration and bewilderment. "What?" They deadpan.

     A dark blush coats my face. "The.. the wolf who's my mate. He's the king, and.. I think we mated?" I guessed, not quite sure myself. It's still a mystery how things are done in this world, especially with the royalty. Everything's so complicated, not that humans aren't complicated enough.

      Vanessa glares daggers, "You 'think'?"

     I sheepishly smile. After shrugging off her angry eyes, I reply with, "Well.. we did have sex, and he bit me, but I have no idea if it counts during the Solace." I admit my humble defeat, laying my sword down. I had nowhere to go and no ideas. Running seemed ridiculous, especially with these.. these urges.

     I'm lost.

     Myra runs a hand over her forehead. "Of course it does, McKenzie! Gosh!" The dark skinned beauty rolls her green contacts. "Don't you know anything about the Wolf Laws?" Her scowl takes me back to the shy, hidden kid I use to be before the bite.

     With a snarl, I slam my fist onto the table. Some people ignore me, some stare and blink, while the four around the table widen their eyes at my tone. Within seconds, I realize what I'm doing. I blink, switching off the anger with such ease, it became like a light switch in my head. So easy to turn on and off. I've never been able to do that, ever.

     "Damn. He must be affecting you in an extreme nature," Hannah notes. Her bottom lip trembles, and I can see her blinking back fear.

     I frown.

     Vaughn licks his lips, intertwining his hands on the table. He's serious, as the day he passed his state exam, and looks at me from underneath his shaggy bangs. "Like you said, McKenzie... He's the king. The king's not going to drop his mate when she can provide the sole heir to the throne. You're an asset." He confirms, enunciating his second language well.