Six-His Solace

6 ~ his solace

My heart beats erratically in my chest. I had no idea what to expect from this stranger, especially if he's the king. My eyes widen as he claws and bangs on the glass. When it starts to crack, I gasp and cover my face. It's agonizingly slow, notably when the stranger growls in desperation from the wretched confinement. I blink, not quite believing what I'm seeing.

     His eyes darken, turning to deep amber. His mouth opens and the teeth begin to transform into fangs. The nose elongates into a muzzle and his entire body morphs into that of a wolf, only he stands on two feet. The stature of this beast is taller and much more powerful than his human form. He snarls, with the roar of a tiger, and swipes a beastly claw against the glass. I flinch, falling to the floor to brace myself. However, it doesn't break but the beast manages to sink his claws in.

     I scream as he snarls, striking back his forearms. With one final blow to the glass, it breaks all around me. I yelp, kneeling down and forcing myself to shield away from the oncoming shards. It's hard to breathe at one point because of the corset indenting into my rib cage, so I sit up when the damage was done. Removing my hands from my neck, I look up, swallowing the fear in my chest. There he stands, huffing with such strength and power, I have to look away.

     Nonchalantly, I slip my foot off the platform and beware of the glass. A furry claw dips beneath my chin and raises my head. I blink, not quite sure what to expect as he connects my eyes with his burning ambers. I gawk at the creature in front of me, not understanding this one bit. How is he a walking wolfman?

     As I stare into his eyes, I push myself off the edge until I could feel the ground. I tried my best not to let him know what I was doing, since he seems so entranced by my face for whatever reason. I could only hope I was succeeding; I had no clue what the fuck what going on. All I know is I have to leave, run, and never look back. Because if I do, it'll end in a grave mistake.

     This is an absolute nightmare! I cry to myself.

     I've managed to balance my weight between my arms and my knee as the beast inspects my face. It's without a doubt he's happy because he howls out in victory for several moments. After flinching, I take this chance and scat, pushing myself off the platform and dodging glass. The shoes were so annoying! I threw them off after passing the shards and took off running, knowing I couldn't outrun the beast the stranger has become.

     Scared out of my mind, I zig zag through the trees, and as soon as his howl is finished, I don't move. His snarl could heel anyone, and I began to cower in that instant. Immediately, I jump on the tree nearest to me and reach for the nearest branch, even as stupid as the idea was, I was hopeful. I wasn't a gymnast in school, but I'm flexible enough to swing my body to the trunk and climb up until my legs wrap around the branch my hands hold. Ignoring the magnificent dress ripping from the distress I put on it, I keep climbing, rushing myself to keep going. My heart pounds in my ears with each branch I grab.

     It's the rumble of warning that causes me to stop and look down. Blinking, I stare at the wolfman, equipped with claws, fur, and a tail, scaling the tree in no time. I wanted to throw up. My chest heaves the closer he gets and I begin to hyperventilate at the sight of him. I didn't know what to do in my position, and to think I was prey now of all times.

     I swallow, climbing to the other side of the tree before he could snatch me up. And had I not moved, I would have been sandwiched between the two. I shriek, slipping backwards, hovering above the earth before hugging the branch in front of me. I close my eyes, counting to myself as I attempt to soothe my anxious soul. Something cold and wet touches my nose, and as I peak through my lashes, I realize it's the snout of the stranger. My eyes widen once again and I'm quick to jerk myself back, but he's quicker than me.