Eighteen-To Leave My Side

So this was supposed to be posted yesterday..
Y'all know how that goes for me.
Hope you enjoy!
And Happy Holidays!

•     •     •     •     •

1 8 ~ to leave my side

     Let's meet at the rink!
7:26 A.M.

Looking down at my phone, I reread the text message for the billionth time today. A full stomach and a wide smile keeps me company as I pull up at the family Dayton's Roller Rink & Arcade. I park the car, gathering my purse and a few other things. My fingers aid my makeup in the rear view. I wear a casual smile on my lip-glossed lips before walking out of the vehicle to meet my friends in the building. It'd been a week since I last saw the click and I've been itching to have another skeeball battle with Vaughn.. he still owes me a rematch.

     I walk inside and search the lobby area for my friends. I spot the dreads on Myra and Hannah's bouncy red curls not far from the counter. They wait in line with an annoyed Vaughn and Vanessa, who joins in on the conversation they're having. My feet quickly move over to the group to finally complete our squad. Vaughn is the first to notice me come over, rolling his eyes at something his sister said. I wave at him when he notices me.

Vaughn gives me a smile and continues to stay silent while the three girls gossip with one another. I stand next to him, silently thankful I was able to make it out alive this morning.

After our second date yesterday, I was barely able to escape Ragnar's grasp. Ever since our first date, he's been quite touchy, even more so since the Solace. I'm not quite sure if it's an alpha trait or a royalty thing, but the amount of clinginess he's brought upon me is very startling, to say the least. I had to bunch my comforter up with two pillows in order to make Ragnar settle back to sleep this morning. I thought he was going to wake up and scream at me to get back in his arms— not that I would have disobeyed.

But with all his cliché comments that make my stomach flutter, I don't know how to react without wanting to hit pause and fangirl.

I just can't believe I have a mate, my inner voice cheers.

A deep blush billows across my cheeks, and before I know it, I feel like howling. Something animalistic inside of me wants to shift and run, jump, hoot, and bark with joy all because I have a mate that accepts me. Whether he accepts me because of the bond or just because of me, I'm still happy. I can't dwell on what if's or my anger.. I want to be a happy person, someone Ragnar can be proud of and wish to stay with for the rest of our time we have together.

It's not seconds later before we've moved up in line that I receive a text from my phone. The ding attracts the three girls in front of me, and as soon as Hannah engulfs me in a hug, Myra and Vanessa follow suit. I laugh at their friendliness and wrap my arms around the three as much as possible before we disperse. They babble on about their lives and involve me into the conversation for a few minutes. Vaughn speaks up sometimes. He's not very talkative when it comes to females.

We love up in line once more and Myra grabs us tickets. I pay my money forwards and feel another buzz in my pocket when the cash is transferred over the register. Blinking a moment, there's three more buzzes setting off my phone as I bring it to lit up. As I unlock it, another text comes in, vibrating the device in my hands a sixth time. My eyes widen at the screen as I notice it's from Kaz. I had given him my phone number a little while back so that if anything happens, I'd have a way to contact him.