Three-The Call

3 ~ the call

"I know you like me, I know you do. That's why whenever I come around she's all over you, and I know you want it. It's easy to see. And in the back of your mind, I know you should be on with me!" I sang along with Lilith, jamming out to the oldie. The twins in the back, Marckus and Josiah, play on their phones, yet bob their heads to the music. Lilith goes all out between the two and starts dancing to her best ability. Isabella sits next to me, texting, not watching out siblings.

"Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me? Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me—" I swerve lanes, surprised she actually said the word 'freak,' she has a thing a about "bad" words.

In the rear view mirror, I spot Josiah drop his phone and cover Lilith's mouth. I turn down the music, and luckily, we come to a red light. Looking back at the nine-year old, I stare at her with wide eyes. Lilith fights her brother, shoving him off. She fixes her hair and sticks her tongue out at Josiah. When she realizes all but Isabella is staring, she shrugs her shoulders.

"What?"

Lilith's innocent face has me stuttering out a reply. Before any of us could speak. Isabella answers a call. "Hey mom!.. No, I'm not! Kenzie's right here with me. We're heading home now.. all right. We love you," she blows a kiss into the receiver and hangs up the phone.

I watch the lights and go when it's green. Shaking my head at what my little sister said causes me to laugh. "What'd mom want, Belle?" Marckus asks, slouching in his seat as Lilith goes back to jamming.

Isabella sighs, putting her phone away. She begins putting up her hair in a high pony tail. "Mom says there's someone waiting at home for you, Kenz." Isabella quirks an eyebrow at me, and I blink. "Says he's a prince," she lowers her voice, glaring at me. Her arms suddenly cross and I sheepishly smile at her.

"A prince! You met a prince, Kenzie?! Was he nice? Did he give your hand a kiss?" Lilith shoots out, asking question after question, which causes me to relive the memory of his red hair and brilliant eyes. As handsome as he was, he's a nuisance.

Oh, great! Any secret I keep I can't even have! My eyes roll, and how the hell did he find me? Especially, at mom's and dad's? The question itself only rises more questions. I shook my head. I was not prepared for this.

I sigh. "Yes, I did meet a prince," I spew through my teeth while my hands tighten along the steering wheel as I turn down the off road path. "But he's not as princely as you'd think." I scowl, remembering the unrealistic moment. Just thinking about him made my blood boil. There's no way I'm agreeing to anything.

"Awe!" Lilith gushes. "Was it love at first sight?"

Marckus shoves a few more takis in his mouth before thinking out loud. "What's he do, Kenz? Insult your face or something?" With a mouth full of chips, I was surprised he managed all those words. Hell, I was astonished I understood him.

I scowl at my brother in the rear view, instead of answering, I turn the music up and drive on through the trees. Isabella doesn't want to drop the conversation, so when she turns the music down for a moment, I give her a look. She turns it back up and frowns herself in her phone.

Just another fucking mess...

..•..

The door opens, and Lilith runs passed me to find mom and dad. I take off my jacket, hanging it on the hooks before shuffling my shoes off. Isabella, Marckus, and Josiah follow after me. I stuff my phone in my jeans pocket and wander on into the kitchen, off to the right. The twins race up the stairs before the doors to their rooms slam. Isabella joins me in the kitchen. She leans along the counter, texting away. I pull out some pepperonis and lay some out in a plate. As much as I didn't want to drink water, that's all they had since they've been on this health kick for Lilith.