Four-Until We Meet Again

4 ~ until we meet again

..•..

My paws crunch the leaves beneath my feet. I listen for any sounds of arrival, and when there is none, I shift from my wolf and crack my neck. There's been too much going on lately, with the Anima Luna and the meetings with the packs. Each of my brothers reigns over five proceeding packs and when we discuss the troubles between them, it's worse than our family commutes.

     After a long night with Serephina, I wanted a few hours alone. I left her at the mansion, thankfully she was asleep.

     My hand runs through my unruly hair, doing nothing to fix it. Within a few minutes, I'm walking back to the area where we all gathered last night. It was more than a rush of familiarity; this was a reminder. She kept me going through the Pack Wars, and the memory of her has kept me where I am now. Am I truly ready to face her once again? I lost her because of a mistake, one I'll never make again.

     I shake the thoughts away, attempting to find her scent out here again, if she really was out here last night in the first place. It takes three hours to run the area, twice, as a wolf, and I still don't find anything. My silent suffering was too much to bare, and my thoughts continue to haunt me. She'll forever be in my dreams, but too far to touch.

     A snarl exerts my throat, and I toss around the debris surrounding me in fury. I claw the trees and take my anger out on anything around. This agony in my chest doesn't leave, and no matter what I do, I can't seems to run from her daunting memory any longer. I took off, in a random direction, which happens to be towards the pack, and run. I exert all my frustration and anger into the rush of my step. Running out of breathe was more of an inconvenience, but as soon as I slow, I smell her scent again.

     I'm crazy. Definitely insane, I groan, half from annoyance and half from the intoxicating aroma that burns my loins.

     Desperately, I had to know if I was imagining her or if she was real.

     I take off after her scent, jogging to stay with the smell. It leads me into the outskirts of the town, and I suddenly back track as I notice the thick musk. She had came from town. I race back towards the pack grounds, the sun all ready high in the sky, and still find nothing. A few patrol wolves pass me from behind.

     Halt, I speak. The two wolves immediately stop in their path and turn attention to me.

     They bow, respectfully. Your Majesty.

     A smug, wolfish grin covers my muzzle. Has there been a woman through here recently?

     The brownish grey wolf turns to his partner in confusion. He nods his head and bows again. Yes, Your Majesty. There have been countless of females in and out of the pack grounds recently.

     Damn, I scowl, ready to end my search when her scent lingers in my nostrils.

     Do you smell that? I ask, capturing their attention. It's like honey and peaches.

     The two wolves look at me with a bizarre expression. I growl at their faces and begin to turn away when the black wolf perks up. Honey and peaches, Your Majesty? Isn't that one of the Durrell's kids' scents, Noah?

     The one named Noah loos back at his partner before sniffing the air. He sniffs at the ground, stopping for a moment. Aye.. you're right, Malcolm. That's the eldest, right? The one who came from humans. He confirms, nodding the answer at me. The two wander onto a different conversation before I clear my throat. Their blinking eyes turn to me.