Chapter 34

"Are you alright?" Leigh asks when Charles stops coughing.

"Oh, he is more than alright. Aren't you dad?" Chase says laughing.

Charles glares at Chase willing him to shut up. Sylvia just giggles beside him.

"Did I miss something? What's going on?" Leigh asks.

"Let me explain," Sylvia says. "While I know my husband loves me unconditionally, he has always loved one other woman more than he loves me."

"Sylvia that is not true," Charles groans beside her. Leigh looks at Chase's parents confused.

"Leigh Charles has had a crush on your mother for years," Sylvia says giggling again.

Charles drops his head and covers his face in embarrassment as Sylvia goes on.

"He would drag me out to see all of her movies when we were younger, so he could see her on the big screen. When she quit the business, he was crushed."

"Alright already," Charles says. "Yeah I had a crush on her, but so did every other man I know. She was and I'm sure she still is beautiful. We were all in love with Grace Stevens," he says shyly. "Then she just left us to go off and get married and have kids."

Leigh looks at Charles raising her eyebrows trying not to laugh at him.

"Sorry, Leigh I didn't mean that how it sounded," Charles says.

"Yeah you did," she says laughing. "It's ok though, I understand what you mean. I have heard it before. She broke a lot of hearts walking away," Leigh says. "My mom and dad were so happy together that she never looked back though."

Leigh looks at Chase, and an idea comes to her.

"So Charles, can I propose a business deal with you?" she asks.

"What do you have in mind?" Charles asks.

"My mother has been wanting to come out for a visit. How would you like to meet her when she comes out?" Leigh asks.

"Seriously, that would be amazing," Charles replies with stars in his eyes. Sylvia just giggles at him again.

"I can make that happen for you if you can do something for me in return," Leigh says.

"What would that be?" Charles asks.

"Please give Chase and Christopher a chance to prove to you how successful they can be in their careers." Charles raises an eyebrow at Leigh.

"I don't want to overstep my bounds sir, but I know they both work really hard and love their jobs. However, at the end of the day they both still want your blessing and approval, sir," she says not looking at Chase.

Leigh doesn't want Chase to try to stop her from where she is going with this conversation.

"If I can make one of your dreams come true, can you please give them a chance to make their dreams come true too?" Leigh asks as sweetly as she can never taking her eyes off of Charles.

After staring at her for a few moments, and then looking at Chase. Charles turns back to Leigh and says, "Ok Leigh, I will try for you."

He then gets up and heads to the dining room asking Sylvia, "Is dinner ready yet?"

Sylvia jumps up wiping tears from her eyes and goes after him saying, "Yes dear coming right up."

Leigh and Chase get up to head into the dining room as well. Chase grabs Leigh's hand and pulls her to him hugging her tightly.