Chapter 16

When Leigh gets out of the shower she sees Chase has replied to her text and smiles as she reads his reply because she secretly loves it when he calls her gorgeous.

She also had two missed calls from Christopher. Screw him she thought, maybe I will call him back tomorrow. She dried her hair taking her time doing it.

Just as she was about to go to bed her phone rang, and she saw it was Christopher. "Hello," Leigh says annoyed.

"Hey, I'm sorry to be calling you so late. I hadn't heard back from you after I called you earlier."

"I called Chase to see if he knew where you were. After talking to him I was worried you might not call me back at all," Christopher says.

"Yeah well I waited by the phone earlier today for you to call, and you didn't. I can't help it that I was in the shower when you finally call."

"Look Leigh I'm sorry. I know your upset with me. Trust me Chase has already bitched me out for most of our conversation. Will you give me the chance to explain what happened?"

Leigh sighs and says "Go ahead I'm listening."

"First of all, I did not blow you off today. I was going to call you as soon as I got home from the photoshoot. When I got done my agent insisted that I go to lunch with her. She wanted to talk about the next campaign that she was setting me up on. The problem was that they wanted me to start today as soon as we were done with lunch. Everything all happened so fast. I jumped in a taxi, and headed straight over to the studio."

"As I was rushing out the door I left my phone at the restaurant. I realized it as soon as we got in the taxi. I couldn't go back to get it or I would be late. My agent went back in to get it for me. She said she would bring it to me later when I was done with the shoot. I really didn't forget about calling you, Leigh. I just got in over my head on my first day. I called you as soon as I got my phone back I promise. This long-distance thing was my idea, and I have already screwed everything up," Christopher pleads.

"Look I understand schedules change at the last minute. My work is the same way. However, you need to know that I will not be waiting by the phone for you anymore. I will continue to live my life. Depending on where I am at the time you call I may or may not be able to answer," she says.

"I understand," Christopher says with a sigh.

"Yes, that means I might be with your brother when you call. I don't understand why you have a problem with me hanging out with Chase. I have never given you a reason not to trust me," Leigh says.

"I do trust you, Leigh. I can't help it that I miss you, and I'm jealous that Chase gets to be with you instead of me."

"Christopher I don't want any secrets between us. So you should know that until I came home to wait for your call, Chase and I spent most of the day together."

"Ok," Christopher says hesitantly.

"You already made him dinner last night, why would you spend the day together today Leigh?" Christopher asks.

"We ran into each other this morning at the coffee shop and had breakfast. During breakfast, he asked me if I could go with him to the grocery store. Then we went over to your parents to pick up his car."

"He could have used my car, he has the keys," Christopher says annoyed.

"He said he didn't want to drive your car. I can't say I blame him for wanting his car either after I saw it. After we got home though we went for a ride in Chase's car."

"Why did you go for a ride in his car?" Christopher asked trying not to sound pissed.

"Well, your dad was giving Chase a hard time about his car. He wants him to sell it, and get it out of there. I spoke up and said I loved his car. It reminded me of the great memories I have with my dad riding around in his Mustang. Anyway, I asked Chase if I could drive it someday, and he said I could drive it today."

"I'll bet he did," Christopher says sarcastically.

"Look I'm sorry if you have a problem with that, but it made me feel close to my dad again. If Chase says I can drive it again, I will jump at the chance."

"I'm sorry. I know how much you miss your dad. I would never ask you to give that up if it helps you to feel close to him. If I had known about your dad's Mustang, we could have gone over and borrowed Chase's car a long time ago."

"I didn't really think about it until I saw his car today. All of the memories started flooding back."

"I came home after we took a quick drive, and waited for you to call. I understand now why you didn't, but that doesn't change how it made me feel at the time."

"Chase had invited me over tonight to watch the game, and eat junk food. I hadn't planned on going because I didn't think you would like it."

"So when I didn't call you went over there because you were mad at me?" Christopher asks.

"Well yes, and no," Leigh says.

"I didn't go over there to make you mad or jealous. I just decided that I wasn't going to worry about what you think every time I do something. If my neighbor asks me to come over and hang out I'm gonna go. I'm sorry, I am really not trying to be a bitch, it's just how I feel. You left me Christopher not the other way around. I can't put my life on hold."

"I know Leigh, I don't expect you to. I will learn how to manage my time better, and make this work. Just please don't give up on me yet," Christopher pleads.

"I'm not giving up on you this is just really hard. I miss you, and this whole situation sucks," Leigh says.

"I know, I miss you too baby," Christopher says.

Leigh softens at his words and tries to be supportive and not fight anymore. "So tell me about your day, sounds like you are already impressing everyone there in New York."

"It was great and really intense. The photographers know exactly what they want. You get in there and get the shots done. Then quickly move on to the next set up. My agent wants to get me booked on as many campaigns as she can. Just please bear with me while I try to get used to this new schedule."

"I will try," Leigh says.

"I know it's late, so I will let you go," Christopher says.

"I'm glad we talked this out, I feel better now," Leigh says.

"Me too, night baby"

"Night," Leigh says and hangs up.

Thanks so much for reading my book!
Please vote, and post comments to let me know what you think!
Keep going to the next chapter!