Chapter 7

When Christopher first arrived in New York, he was excited to get started. However, he couldn't help thinking he would be so much happier if Leigh was here with him.

He also missed his brother. When he decided to make the move to New York, he thought he would have his brother by his side to help him get used to everything here.

Now he would have to figure it out on his own. Chase did it so can I, Christopher thought to himself.

Chase should have made it to Atlanta by now and settled into my apartment. Just as long as he keeps his promise to me about Leigh, then everything will be fine.

Christopher didn't expect him to ignore Leigh. He just didn't want Chase to try to pursue her, and then hurt her. Chase can have my apartment, but he can't have Leigh.

He better not even think of trying to take my place in her life. We may not live across the hall from each other right now, but I plan to still be in her life no matter what.

She agreed to try this long-distance thing with me, so I may as well get started right now with my first promise to her. I told her I would call her as soon as I got here and settled, so here goes.

"Hello," Leigh answers the phone on the second ring sounding preoccupied.

"Hey, it's me," Christopher says.

"Oh hey, Christopher did you make it to New York alright?" Leigh asks.

"Yeah I had a little delay at the airport, but nothing major thank goodness. I got a cab and came straight here to Chase's apartment. I will have to go out to the market later since Chase has nothing to eat in this place. I was about to take a nap, but I wanted to call you first like I promised."

Leigh laughs. "You and your brother really are a lot alike."

"How so?" Christopher asks.

"Well as you know he had the same problem when he got to your apartment. You two should really go to the grocery store more often," Leigh says.

"Well if I kept groceries in the apartment, then the pretty girl that lived next door to me wouldn't feel sorry for me all the time and offer to cook me dinner."

"Oh is that so? Now I know how it works," Leigh says laughing. "Well Chase will get his one free meal tonight, and then he will have to go to the market tomorrow," Leigh says sarcastically.

"So you invited Chase over for dinner tonight?" Christopher asks.

"Yeah, we went for coffee when he got here. Then I told him to go back to the apartment, and get some rest. I knew you wouldn't have any food over there, so I told him to come over at 6:00 for dinner."

"I'm at the market now getting the stuff to make lasagna."

Christopher was not happy about this. First of all, they are already got together for coffee, and now she is making him lasagna. Christopher loves Leigh's lasagna, and now she is making it for Chase. He got quite all of a sudden.

"Christopher are you still there?" Leigh asks.

"Yeah I'm here," he replies sadly.

"What's wrong?" Leigh asks.

"I just miss you already. I wish it was me there with you tonight instead of Chase."

"Relax Christopher, I'm just sharing some lasagna, garlic bread, and a salad with my new neighbor. Otherwise, he might starve to death since he and his brother never learned how to grocery shop."

Christopher laughs, and asks "What no dessert for the poor guy?"

"No, but I do have some ice cream in the freezer if he wants dessert. I could make sundaes. Do you know if Chase likes chocolate sauce & whipped cream?" Leigh asks.

Christopher falls silent again, thinking about the last time he & Leigh had a little fun with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.

"Yeah he does," Christopher says.

"Ok I will pick some up while I'm here," Leigh says.

"Leigh you really don't have to go to all of this trouble for Chase, he can just get some take out. He is used to that here, trust me."

"I know, but you know I love to cook. I want to make him feel welcome here on his first night."

She was always putting everyone else first and loved taking care of people. That's one of the things Christopher loved the most about Leigh. One day he hoped he would be able to take care of her.

"So tell me about New York," Leigh says.

"It's different that's for sure," Christopher says. "I mean I am used to city life after living and working in Atlanta, but nothing compares to New York. I really want you to come to visit me one day soon. Please tell me you will think about it," Christopher asks.

"I told you I would try and I meant it," Leigh says. "It just depends on my schedule over the next couple of months."

"Ok well, I better go and get unpacked. I have an early morning photoshoot, so I will have to get to bed early tonight."

"I will call you again tomorrow to let you know how it went, and you can tell me all about how dinner with my brother went."

"I can't wait to hear about it," Leigh says. "I'm sure your first day at work will be much more exciting than my dinner with Chase. Talk to you tomorrow, hope you sleep well," Leigh says.

That is probably not going to happen now, Christopher thinks to himself. However, he replies "You too Leigh sweet dreams. I will talk to you tomorrow."

Thanks so much for reading my book!
Please vote, and post comments to let me know what you think!
Please keep going to the next chapter!