49

The next evening Mal helps Charlotte with the finishing touches on her outfit for the banquet. 

Mal takes a step back and sizes her up from top to bottom and then back to the middle, where she licks her lips at the sight of her girlfriend's bare midsection.

Alana yells from the other side of the room, "Don't make me spray the two of you with water, because ain't nobody got time for that!" 

Charlotte and Mal burst out laughing at the comment. 

"Sorry, Lan." 

"Uh-huh."

Charlotte smiles and then winks at Mal, "There'll be plenty of time for dessert later, Baby." 

Mal kisses her gently on the lips, "I'll hold you to that. You look beautiful, C.J." 

"What about me?" 

Mal laughs, "You clean up pretty well too, Lan." 

There is a knock on the door and Alana's phone buzzes, "Limos are downstairs and waiting for us. Time to shine bright like the diamonds we are."

Charlotte and Mal share another kiss, "Have fun, but not too much fun." 

After they take a few pictures together, Mal watches as the Cardinal crew as well as a few stragglers from the UCLA crew make their way out to the cars all dressed to the nines for an evening recognizing them and their achievements. 

Making their way in as a team to the facility where the evening's event is being held, the girls snap pictures and film everything. They stop to take pictures and even sign autographs for some of the young girls who are waiting to catch even a glimpse of one of the next up and coming stars or faces of the USWNT. 

Charlotte laughs and smiles and takes a ton of pictures, totally enjoying herself and the atmosphere around her. 

Soon enough they head in and watch highlights and some lowlights on a big screen and revisit each of the four teams in attendance seasons and how they got to be apart of the final four. 

They move on to speeches and a question and answer session with some of the players and coaches. Then along with a fabulous meal and plenty of dessert options, the players give their attention as the award winners are announced and all the players and teams are wished the best of luck before the evening comes to an end. 

Back at the hotel, they all share a drink (non-alcoholic, of course) and congratulate themselves and their teammates on an amazing season with hopes of finishing it out with the trophy that was earlier on display. 

As time begins to get late, they all head back to their respective rooms and begin the process of removing their makeup and clothing and getting ready for bed and the inevitable bedcheck. 

Charlotte lays in her bed, holding her phone and sends Mal some of the pictures from her evening before deciding to call in a night. 

Her phone buzzes with a simple message and she smiles as she reads it before then allowing the need for sleep to take hold. 

New Message

Mally: You looked absolutely beautiful tonight; I'm so very lucky to have you. Sweet dreams, Baby. I love you. 

The next morning the atmosphere is noticeably a lot tenser as the players eat their breakfast together. 

"You have a visitor, Charlie," Andi speaks out.

Charlotte turns around and wraps her arms around Mal, "What are you doing here?"