18

A/N: I know the 2016 Olympic US vs. Sweden game is a black spot on the team and specifically Hope Solo, so I'm going to do my best to gloss over it somewhat in order to maintain the current storyline.

"C'mon Mom, drive faster I'm going to miss the start of the game."

"I can only go as fast as the cars around me are; there is still a half-hour before game time, that's more than enough time for us to get home before it starts."

"I hope so."

"How's Mal doing?"

"Nice swerve Mom and to answer the question, she is good, extremely nervous about today though, Sweden is a good team and it's going to be a tough match for them. She is beyond excited to be starting the game as well."

"You ever think about playing in the Olympics, Charlotte?"

"Of course, it would be awesome to represent the US in the Olympics, but there are so many awesome, talented women ahead of me in line for a position on the Senior National team that I don't stand a chance, especially now with missing the season because of my knee."

"You've been working hard in rehab and following the Doctor's orders, have faith that if you continue to put the work in you will be back on the field in no time and better than ever."

"It'd be nice, I really miss soccer, Mom, it's hard watching it on television, even if it's Mal on the screen."

"I know, but just think that when Mal comes back from Brazil you can afford to take her out somewhere nice for supper now and maybe even spoil her with presents, thanks to your book deal."

"I'd be happy just to hold her in my arms right now and I haven't told her about the books yet, I've been waiting for the right time."

"Perhaps, once she's back you will find that time."

"I hope so, it's been extremely difficult keeping a secret of that magnitude from her, especially now that the books are soon to be in stores."

"I promise to be the first one in line to buy them once they hit the shelves."

"Mom, that's totally unnecessary, we already have copies of them at home and you've read them already."

"I know, but I want the memory of being able to see and buy them in stores; got a problem with that?"

Charlotte smiles and laughs, "Not in the least, would you like me to sign them for you as well? Who knows they may be worth something in the future."

Carol smiles and nods at her words. "We'll see."

Charlotte gets herself set up in front of the screen and watches as the teams make their way out of the tunnel and onto the field for the game.

After the obligatory anthems, shaking hands, photos and coin toss the game gets underway.

The United States presses the Swedes in the opening minutes of the game and Tobin Heath comes close to getting on the scoresheet 3 minutes in with a header, but it's cleared off the line and the score remains at zeroes. 1 minute later and Swedish keeper Hedvig Lindahl palms a shot from Morgan Brian over the crossbar to keep them level.

Minutes later and the Americans give Caroline Seger space in their end, allowing the veteran to send the ball towards the goal over their heads but landing on top of the netting.

In the 26th minute of the game, Mal gets the ball through the Swedish defence and attempts to set up Carli for the finish, but in a questionable no-foul call, the Swedes are able to block Lloyd and clear away the opportunity.