21

The next day, Mal and Charlotte head to Charlotte's appointment together and as she goes through the paces of her exercises and stretches Mal watches from the side smiling and cheering her on as she slowly walks on the treadmill.

After she completes her workout, Charlotte sits down with them to discuss her progress and what's coming next.

"Everything is looking really good so far, Charlie, keep up the good work and provided there is no swelling and or pain in the meantime we'll see about getting you moving a bit more at your next appointment, sound good?"

Charlotte nods, "So in the meantime, I keep doing the at-home stuff like I have been, right?"

"Exactly, just remember not to overdo it and stop if there are any signs of discomfort."

"Okay, I can do that. Are you going to forward on my case information to Stanford or do I have to look after that?"

"We've already been in contact with the professional team at Stanford and we'll be sending them your records following your next appointment. You don't need to worry about anything Charlie, we are aware of how important it is for you to make a full recovery as soon as possible and get you back out on the field better than ever. You're a bit of a local celebrity around here you know because of what you accomplished in high school and playing at the U20's ."

"All that seems like a lifetime ago. All I can think about right now is getting back out on the pitch and kicking a ball around as soon as possible."

"Give it time and it will happen and from the looks of it, you have yourself a pretty strong support system."

Charlotte looks at Mal and nods, "Yeah, I definitely do. I'll see you in a few weeks. Thanks for everything."

They head out to the car and Charlotte drives them home before heading back to her room to lay down for a bit.

Mal lays down beside her, "Are you okay? You didn't get bad news, did you? , you didn't say a word on the drive home."

"Yeah, just frustrated, I guess. I'm sorry, Mal, I shouldn't take it out on you."

"It's okay, I know you are struggling with everything and I'm here to help you."

"You have enough to deal with right now, you shouldn't have to deal with a grumpy, girlfriend on top of everything else."

Mal laughs, "You mean cute, grumpy, girlfriend and it's really okay."

"How are you doing, Mal?"

Mal takes a deep breath, "I'll get through, I'm disappointed in the results but no one can take away the fact that I worked my ass off to make the team and made it and represented my country at the Olympics as a teenager and well, I have no control over what happens to Hope."

"That's for sure, you have no idea how incredibly proud I am of you. I still have a hard time believing that you are here and my girlfriend sometimes, you know?"

Mal smiles, "Believe it. I'm not going anywhere, ever, C.J."

They kiss and Mal notices that Charlotte has tears running down her cheeks as they separate.

"What's really going on in that beautiful mind of yours?"

"I have something that I need to tell you and I'm really not sure how you are going to take it and I'm scared that you will leave me and I really don't want that to happen because I love you so much and ..."

"Woah, slow down and talk to me."

"I need you to promise me that what I'm about to tell you stays between us and only us, okay? Not even your family can know, yet, anyway."