64

Drawing the early match, the United States players sit in the changing room at Couva Stadium, listening in to the Coaches instructions as they await the signal to head back out to the field and begin the match. 

Charlotte looks around the room at her teammates and smiles through her nerves. She grabs one last drink before they stand up and begin to line up for their Semi-Final against Haiti. 

Once the pregame festivities are complete and sides are chosen, the players make their way on to the field, take their positions and wait for the opening whistle. 

The teams play a tight match, with the Americans being stifled by the Haitian defenders and unable to mount any real form of attack in the first half. They manage to get a few balls in but none meet the target and the head in for the half, knotted at zeroes. 

The second half begins very much the same as the first half ended with neither team taking control and content to play level. As the clock begins to wind down, substitutions are made and Charlotte can't help but feel disappointed watching Ashley being pulled from the front line in favour of the fresh legs of Sophia Smith. 

With an injured player receiving treatment for Haiti, Charlotte calls over some of the girls and lets them know that they need to continue to press the right side as the defenders are looking tired. 

As they reset, Zoe steps up behind the ball and once the whistle sounds out sends the ball down the right side, where it's directed out of play by one of the Haitian players, resulting in a throw-in. 

They get ready and as the ball returns to play, Charlotte who is positioned towards the top of the 18-yard box gets the ball and rather than passing it off to Abi, sees an opening and sends it through space where Sophia is able to outpace the tired defender. She gets a low shot off, but a foot gets to it before it reaches the keeper and directs it back out. Charlotte sees a streak of blue connect on a one-timer and then screams as it hits the netting behind the prone keeper. 

She looks over and sees Jaelin being swarmed by their teammates and knows who is responsible for bringing life back into the squad and game. Running over she hugs her teammate as they make their way back for the restart. 

With the surge in confidence, the United States plays up to its capability and begins to send more frequent shots on target, looking to seal the victory. Despite their attempts, they are unable to find the netting for a second time and as the clock hits the end of regular time, they know they are minutes away from heading to the final. 

Haiti knowing this launches a last-minute assault and is able to capitalize on a sloppy clearance by the Americans and tie up the game in the second minute of added time. 

When the final whistle sounds out, the teams are deadlocked at one goal apiece and headed to a penalty shoot-out to determine who advances. 

The teams convene on the sidelines and choose their shooters while the keepers are reminded of the rules by the referee. 

"Alright, Sophia you're up first, then Charlie, Jaelin and Zoe, Tierna you're up fifth if we need you. Everyone good with that?" 

They all nod, and assemble for one last cheer before making the walk as a team out to the centre of the field and lining up. 

With a coin flip, it's decided that the United States will shoot first and Sophia makes the jog to the spot, picking up the ball and then setting it back down. She backs up and gets set and as she makes contact, it's directly at the keeper and makes for an easy save. 

Sophia hangs her head as she makes the lonely jog back to her teammates, who embrace and reassure her. 

The first shooter steps up for Haiti and mishits the ball sending it wide.