19

Charlotte waits at Dulles International Airport for the USWNT to arrive home after their disappointing result at the Rio Olympics. She is surrounded by fans and family members, wearing the Red, White and Blue of their heroes as well as numerous members of media vying for the chance to get clips and comments for their outlets.

Not wanting to get involved in anything, Charlotte does her best to remain invisible while wearing one of Mal's shirts that her girlfriend left behind when she visited her at home after her surgery.

The crowd gets louder as the doors open and the first few players and staff members begin to appear. Charlotte scans around looking for Mal while holding a single red rose and a small teddy bear for her that she got at the gift shop. She spent quite a while debating what to get Mal, knowing that she shouldn't show up empty-handed to meet her and finally settling on the items, there was chocolate as well, but waiting is hard work and she got hungry.

Mal knows that Charlotte was planning on meeting her flight at the airport so hopefully, she will be looking for her as well in the crowd.

Charlotte smiles when she sees Mal walking beside Lindsey, the height difference noticeable as they walk together smiling and laughing as they deal with the flashes while approaching the large group. She takes her phone out and sends a quick message, hoping that Mal will hear or feel her phone that she notices she is currently holding in her hand.

New Message

C.J.: Look to your right beautiful.

Mal stops and smiles when she sees the message on the screen, before looking over, scanning the crowd and locking eyes with her. Mal taps Lindsey on the arm and says something to her before they both begin walking in her direction.

Mal puts down her carryon and jumps in Charlotte's arms, letting the tears flow as she is held tightly. Charlotte holds her and lets her know everything will be alright as Lindsey watches on.

Once Mal lets go and takes a step back, Charlotte passes her the rose and bear.

"I wasn't exactly sure what I should get you, but I figured I shouldn't show up empty-handed. There was some chocolate as well, but I kinda got hungry."

Mal and Lindsey laugh, "It's okay, you can make it up to me later."

Lindsey looks at them, "So, I guess no one is going to introduce me. I'm Lindsey." Lindsey puts her hand out to Charlotte, who laughs, before shaking it. "It's nice to meet you Lindsey and thank you for looking after Mal for me."

"Your welcome, honestly she's a handful!" Mal nudges her, "Am not!"

"No, you're not. I should get back to the group, are you guys coming back to the hotel? Most of the girls aren't flying out until tomorrow, so we're going to have one last team supper before dispersing."

Mal looks at Charlotte, "It's up to you, but I'd really like to introduce you to the girls."

"Are we okay to be open around them?" Charlotte looks at her questioningly.

Mal smiles and nods, "Yes."

"Next question, can I stay with you tonight, I didn't get a room yet."

Mal looks at Lindsey who nods, "Just keep it PG." They all laugh. "Deal."

Charlotte reaches down to collect her bag and Mal's, "Lead the way, Mally."

After getting settled at the hotel, Charlotte and Mal lay on the bed and smile at each other, "I missed you so much, Mal. I hated not being able to be there and hold you in my arms and reassure you."