46

Charlotte lets herself into Mal's apartment after class on Tuesday and is surprised to find it empty. 

She calls Mal's number and gets her voicemail, she sends her messages and gets no response. 

Sitting on the couch, she feels lost without her girlfriend and grows concerned for her safety and whereabouts. 

As she debates calling Mal's Mom, Karen, the apartment door opens and Mal walks in carrying a small bag with her. She sets it down, and when she notices Charlotte on the couch walks over, sits down beside her and reaches out to hold her hand. 

"Where were you? Where did you go? I thought you left me, I thought something happened to you."

Mal reaches over and pulls her into her arms, kissing her on the forehead. "I'm really sorry. I need to tell you something. The other night, Dansby showed up here extremely drunk and I let him in." 

"What! He didn't do anything to you, did he? Why would you let him in?" 

"Please, calm down and let me finish, okay?" 

Charlotte nods. 

"Alright, he showed up here and before you ask, he still follows me on Instagram, saw pictures of us and then followed me home after one of your games. He started spouting off about about how much he missed me, and that he still loved me and also mentioned that he had even bought a ring and that we should have gotten married."

Charlotte looks at her with tears in her eyes, "I'm not sure I want to hear what comes next." 

Mal lifts her head up, "Just listen, please. I'll admit that his mention of having bought a ring and marriage caught my attention; but, I sent him away, C.J., because I love you, and you are the only person that I plan on accepting a ring from, and marrying. Dansby was my past, you are my present and future." 

Charlotte leans over and they share a kiss. "Where have you been though and why weren't you answering my calls?" 

"I needed to process things, so I took a drive down the coast and stayed in a hotel overnight. I'm sorry that I didn't answer your calls or messages, but I kinda thought this was a conversation that was better to take place in person."

"Don't ever take off like that again, please. If something ever happened to you, I would never be able to forgive myself." 

Mal pulls her into a gentle kiss, "I promise. I love you, C.J." 

Charlotte smiles, "Love you too, Captain Mally." 

Mal smiles and laughs, "You ever going to drop that?" 

"Nope. Have you eaten? I'm sure that I can find something to make for us in the kitchen." 

Mal pulls her into her arms, "I haven't eaten and I know that you're always hungry, but, can we just sit her for a few minutes?" 

Charlotte lets her head fall on Mal's chest and they sit there in quiet for a bit before deciding that it's probably time to find something to eat.

After eating and cleaning up, they decide to enjoy a bath together. 

As Mal lays back against Charlotte's chest, everything in the world seems perfect and she can't help but smile and then kiss Mal's head. "I wish we could end every day like this. Well, maybe not in the bathtub, but you know what I mean." 

Mal laughs, "I always know what you mean. How was training today?" 

"Good, we're ready for Penn State. You're still coming to the game on Friday, right?"