8

Over the next week, Charlotte and Mal form a strong friendship and spend all their time not on the field or training together. As Charlotte watches Mal across the room changing into her training gear, she takes a breath with the realization that she's crushing on her friend and teammate. 

While they've talked about a variety of topics during their time together, their sexuality hasn't been one of them and Charlotte doesn't know how exactly to bring it up or even if she should. In two days time, she will be heading back home and Mal will be returning to Colorado where she is from and then who knows when the next time will be that they see each other or if they will see each other again.

She is interrupted from her thoughts when Mal's phone begins ringing, and she answers it, "Hey Babe, I can't really talk I need to head to training soon." "Yes, I know, love you too." "Bye."

Mal catches Charlotte watching her, "Boyfriend?" Mal nods before finishing getting ready.

Charlotte shakes her head and thinks to herself, "Of course, she has a boyfriend, I mean she's funny, athletic and cute."

"Charlie?" 

"Earth to Charlie, can you hear me?" Charlotte looks up, "Huh?"

Mal laughs, "I've been calling you for the past few minutes."

"Oh sorry, I was distracted by something."

"Obviously, let me guess, thinking about a cute boy at home?"

Charlotte shakes her head and stands up, walking over to collect her stuff, "Ready to go?"

They head down to the lobby together and sit on the bus beside each other, Mal can tell something is up with Charlie but decides not to question it at that moment. Once, they hit the pitch, Charlotte is back to being Charlotte, weaving in and out and through her teammates; Mal watches and smiles as Charlie 'megs one of their teammates before scoring a goal for her team and puts the thoughts aside for the time being.

Later on, during the session and afterwards, it doesn't really sit well with Mal when Charlotte is laughing and chatting with Ashley, another player on the team and they sit together on the bus ride back. 

Back at the hotel, Charlotte hugs Ashley before making her way into the hotel room and finding Mal sitting on the end of her bed.

"Do you want to shower first? Or can I go ahead?" Charlotte asks the questions of her roommate, and when she doesn't answer, she walks over and sits beside her.

"You okay?" Mal shakes her head and Charlotte not knowing what else to do wraps her arm around her and pulls her into her. "What's wrong? What can I do to help you?"

Mal mumbles into her chest, "Just hold me."

Charlotte does just that, and when she feels the wetness from Mal's tears on her chest, she kisses the top of the girls head, "Whatever it is that's bothering you, I'm here for you, Mal."

"Can we lay down for a bit?" Mal asks softly. 

"We can, but you do realize that we both are in need of showers, right?"

"I can handle it if you can."

Charlotte laughs, "Okay, don't say I didn't warn you."

They move up to the top of the bed, and Charlotte wraps her arms around Mal, still unsure as to what's going on, but knowing that there is no way she is leaving her side right now.

Soon both of them fall asleep wrapped in each other.

They are awoken to knocking on the door, and after looking at each other and smiling, Mal gets up, walks over to the door and opens it, finding Ashley and Emily standing there.