100

Charlotte and the rest of the US team sit in the changeroom in silence, listening to the words of their Coach and knowing that they need to win their match against Spain to qualify for the quarterfinals in three days. 

Having thus far been unable to medal at the U-20 level; Charlotte wants to do her part today to ensure they progress to the next round. 

After adjusting her shorts, socks and shinguards and triple-checking that her laces were tight and tied, she follows her teammates out the door and waits to be led onto the pitch for the game. 

It takes only 7 minutes from the opening whistle for the Spanish side to take advantage of a brutal giveaway from Jaelin Howell in their box and make them pay. 

The Americans are unable to get and maintain possession of the ball for the majority of the first half as the opposition dominates them. 

Charlotte cheers as Ashley clears the ball away from the line and prevents the Spanish Captain, Patricia Guijarro, from scoring her second of the match ten minutes before the half. Still, they are not to be denied twice, and in the 42nd minute, another defensive miscue leads to the team in Red sailing into the break with a 2 - 0 lead. 

The US isn't ready to admit defeat and continues to press and in the 83rd minute is able to celebrate a beautiful freekick from Sophia Smith that manages to finds its way past the Spanish wall and curl into the corner of the net, breaking the clean sheet and giving the American's some much-needed jump back into their step. 

With mere minutes left on the clock, Charlotte decides to put her laces through a shot from a distance and watches as it deflects off of one of the Spanish defenders and into the back netting to level the scoreline at 2. 

Unfortunately for the American side, as the referee's final whistle sounds out, their efforts on the day are all for naught as they are eliminated from the tournament. 

As Spain celebrates, the team around them can't hold back their tears. Charlotte makes her way over to the sideline and hugs some of her teammates as they all attempt to absorb the defeat. After taking on some water, they collect themselves enough to shake hands and congratulate the members of the opposition before listening to the post-game directives from the coaching staff. 

Back at the hotel afterwards the players go through the motions of getting cleaned up and then making their way back down to the meal area and shuffling food around their plates before deciding to eat some of it. 

"Just a few short announcements and I'll let everyone get back to eating. Tomorrow morning, following breakfast we will be having a short team meeting to discuss everything and then you'll have some time to get packed before we reconvene in the lobby and ride the bus back to the airport. I'm not going to do individual sessions with everyone, instead, expect to receive an email within a few days highlighting some areas of excellence and those which could use some work. Have a good night ladies and I'll see you all bright and early in the morning." 

Charlotte finished off the food on her plate and her small dessert before grabbing a bottle of water to go and heading back up to her hotel room. She isn't feeling overly sociable at the moment and is surprised when Ashley follows her inside the room and sits down on the bed. 

"It sucks, huh?" 

Charlotte nods, "Ash, I'm not really in a mood to talk." 

"Me neither. I was just gonna ask if you wanted to raid the junk food stash and watch a movie."   

"I would kill for some ice cream, right now." 

Ash looks at her and proceeds to make her way over to the room phone and dial the front desk.