48

It's now Tuesday and the plane carrying Charlotte and her Stanford Cardinal teammates makes its final descent into Orlando International Airport. Mal will be joining her in Orlando on Wednesday along with her family. 

Originally the plan was for the team to fly out on Wednesday but with all the media coverage attached to the weekend's events, they moved up the timeline to accommodate everyone and everything. 

As they make their way off the plane and collect their bags, Charlotte's phone begins to buzz. 

New Message

Ash: They booked our teams into the same hotel. Let me know when you get here. 

Charlie: Just landed. On our way to hotel now. 

Ash: Sweet, come to 412 when you get time. 

Charlie: Should I really be fraternizing with the enemy?

Ash: No, but that never stopped you before, Cardinal. 

Charlotte laughs.

Charlie: See you soon, Bruin. 

Charlotte sends Mal and her Mom a message letting them know that she has landed and is currently on her way to the hotel, which will become home for the next few days. 

The Coach stands on the bus, "Can I have everyone's attention, please?"

The players stop talking to give their attention to the front of the bus.

"I know you were all thinking that we were going to just be chilling at the hotel for the rest of the day, but, unfortunately, that is only partly true. We will have a quick practise on a nearby field, just to get you guys moving after the flight here. So, once we get to the hotel and you receive your room keys, please head up and get changed into your practice gear and meet back down in the lobby in a half hour. Any questions?"

"No, Coach."

Charlotte takes her phone back out.

New Message

Charlie: Coach just sprung a practice on us, won't be seeing you for a little while longer.

Ash: All good, we had that earlier. Message me when you get back.

As the players filter into the hotel and are handed their room keys, they make their way to their designated rooms and undertake the process of getting ready for a practice fresh off the plane.

Charlotte gets herself ready and waits for Alana to finish changing.

"I hate this, I was looking forward to chilling."

"We can do that afterward. Now, we better get a move on before we're late."

They head back downstairs and join their teammates and staff before climbing back on the bus and being driven to a nearby field.

Once there, they get their cleats on and do their usual warmup exercises before forming a circle.

As they wait for the direction the smiles grow on their faces as they realize that it's not a traditional practice, and pylons are being set up to block off areas for soccer tennis and dodgeball.

They are assigned to teams and handed pinnies before being told to have fun but not get hurt.

An hour and a half later, and Charlotte finds herself as the last player standing on her side of the dodgeball game. She looks across at Andi as she holds the ball and debates the merits of letting her Captain beat her, finally deciding that it's the way to go as long as it's not too noticeable.