30

Things move fast for Mal and Charlotte soon after that conversation; Mal is set up in an apartment just in time for them to celebrate her birthday together. Soon afterwards she officially signs on the dotted line and becomes a member of the Washington Spirit and a week later Charlotte, Horace, Karen and Brianna make the trip to the Maryland Soccerplex in anticipation of her making her NWSL debut that evening against the visitors from FC Kansas City. 

At the beginning of the second half, the crowd grows excited when they see the young star warming up on the sidelines and getting final instructions from her coach. 

In the 54th minute of the game, Charlotte watches on and wipes the tears from her eyes as her Mally takes to the pitch in exchange for fellow forward Arielle Ship. 

In the end, the Spirit ends up losing the game by a final score of 1 - 0 but that bit of information is all but lost in the aftermath of the long-awaited debut of USWNT star, Mallory Pugh.

After the game, they all go out to a restaurant to celebrate and Charlotte asks if she can speak with them once they are back at the hotel. 

Mal holds her hand, "You don't have to do this, C.J." 

"I do, it's important that they are in the know." 

Mal laughs and shakes her head, "That was bad, babe." 

They follow Horace and Karen into their room. "Mal, can you get Bri as well, she should be in on this conversation." 

Mal leaves the room to get her sister. 

"Based on your serious look, you about to either tell me that Mal is pregnant or you got engaged without first getting my permission." 

Mal looks at Horace, "No, Sir, Mal is definitely not pregnant and I would never propose without first asking for your permission." 

"Good, so what's on your mind, Charlie?" 

"Can we sit and wait for Mal to get back?" 

The door opens and Mal and Brianna enter the room. 

"Dad, did you threaten C.J. because she's looking a little green at the moment." 

"He just asked me if I somehow miraculously impregnated you that's all." 

"DAD, YOU DIDN'T!" 

Horace laughs as does Karen and then Charlotte as well. 

"It's all good Mal." Mal walks over and takes the chair beside Charlotte reaching over to take her hand. 

"You better spit it out kid, I need to make a call." 

"Bri!" 

"Okay, I need to ask that what I'm about to tell you stays in the strictest confidence, there are very few people who know this information and I would like to keep it that way as long as possible. So, do I have your word that I can trust you all?" 

"Mal, are you dating some form of freak or what?" 

"Oh my God Bri, shut up and listen." 

"Do you all promise not to share the information?" 

Mal smiles and nods at Charlotte causing her to smile. 

"Have you heard of the author J.C. Glass?" 

"Yeah, the books are awesome; Mal gave them to me for Christmas and I read them over a weekend." 

"Do you know who J.C. Glass is?"