1

PROLOGUE

Current and former members of the United States Women's Soccer Team (USWNT) sit amongst thousands of others inside the Staples Centre, all watching as the scoreboard clock counts down to the big event.

Rose Lavelle looks around at the growing crowd and bounces in her seat from excitement, "I can't believe that we're about to find out, who J. C. Glass really is!! I'm so excited!!" 

Emily Sonnett grabs her leg, "Chill out, Rose. You're making me dizzy with all your bouncing around." 

Rose looks at the group of players in the row beside her, "Oh, come on, it's not as if you all aren't just as excited as I am to finally find out the real identity of one of the greatest authors of our time!"  

Kelley O'Hara looks up from her phone screen, "Don't you think calling J.C. Glass on of the greatest of all time is a bit of an overstatement, Rosie? I mean, I'll admit that the books are pretty good and all but there's still a ton of better ones out there." 

Rose stands up and stares down her US teammate, "Are you kidding me right now, KO?" 

Kelley rolls her eyes and laughs at the response. 

Andi Sullivan and Lindsey Horan stand up and put their arms around Rose to get her to sit back down, "It's all good Rosie, KO, just doesn't know a good thing when she reads it, in fact; considering she mentioned having read the entire series on the bus ride over here, it makes you wonder what she really thinks of them and whether she's just trying to antagonize you in order to get a rise out of you." 

Rose looks at Andi, "Sulli, what does antagonize mean?" 

Andi laughs and shakes her head, "Say or do something to get a reaction." 

Rose seems to think about it before nodding, "Maybe you're right."

Kelley turns to look at Alex Morgan and Allie Long beside her, "What do you guys honestly think of them? Are they worthy of all this hype?" 

Alex nods, "I couldn't put them down, read them all in a weekend. Can't wait to see how Ryan Reynolds pulls off playing Dr. Richmond in the movies. Did you know it cost the studio 20 million to secure the rights for Revelation?" 

"Wow! Some one got paid." Alex nods in agreement. 

"Hey Al, is Dr. Richmond the one who puts the chips in their heads to begin with or is he the one that tries to help them to remove them and escape? There's way too many Doctors in the books and I'm kinda confused." 

Alex groans, "Really? We've been over this; he's the one who helps them and you call yourself a superfan." 

"You don't have to be mean about it." Allie turns away and focuses on something or someone in the opposite direction of Alex and Kelley. 

"That was uncalled for Janice." 

Alex looks at her longtime friend, "And the way you spoke with the Rose wasn't?" 

Kelley shrugs, "Point taken; I'll buy her some popcorn afterwards."

A bit further down the row, former USWNT members and spouses, Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger sit and take in everything. 

"It's really too bad that alot of the girls couldn't make it tonight; this is like a once in a lifetime kinda thing." 

Ashlyn nods, "Babe, it's not like a once in a lifetime thing; it is a once in a lifetime type of thing! I can't believe that we're here for it, this is something that we're definitely gonna be able to tell our kids about one day and maybe even our grandkids." 

Ali can't help but laugh at how much her wife is currently fangirling. 

"Do you think that after the unveiling we'll be able to get out picture taken with him? Or that I can get my first edition copy of "The Known" signed?" 

Ali smiles and laughs, "We've had this discussion before Ash, and I still think it's a woman behind the books and not a man."

"How about a little bet?"

"What are you thinking?"

"If it is indeed a female behind the books, then I will pay for supper; if it's a man then supper is on you."

"Ash, you are aware that we have joint accounts, right?"

"Just go with it, Ali, please?" Ashlyn gives her best impression of puppy dog eyes towards her wife.

"Fine. You're on!"

"Hey guys, has anyone seen, Mal?" Andi asks Emily and Rose.

"Oh, she said she was just going to the washroom and then would be back; come to think of it, she's been gone quite a while, maybe one of us should go and check on her." Emily responds as she stands up and looks around for their friend and teammate. 

"How about you just send her a message and ask her current location, rather than searching her out in the crowd?" Andi suggests.

"Right, we can do that."

Rose takes out her phone and proceeds to send Mal a message on their behalf. 

New Message

Rose: Where are you?

Mal: Got swarmed heading to the washroom, and there's a pretty long line up. I'll be back soon. 

Rose: Hurry up! The countdown clock just hit 20 minutes.

Mal: I'll be as quick as I can be.

Rose: Kk.

"They haven't figured it out, have they?"

Mal shakes her head, "Don't worry, I told them that I was going to the washroom and got swarmed, it should buy me some time."

"You're staying with me, right?"

"I'm not going anywhere; I'll be with you every step of the way, Babe."

"Thank you. I never would have been able to do all this without you, Mally."

They hold each other and share a kiss, careful not to smudge any of their recently applied makeup.

There is a knock on the door, "10 minutes until showtime."

"Thank you!"

Mal looks at her, "You ready for this?" 

"As ready as I'll ever be."

They make their way down the hall and wait backstage as the presentation begins, holding each others hand for strength and comfort. 

A loud voice booms throughout the arena, 

"For the past several years one of the biggest questions on everyone's mind has been,

"WHO IS THE REAL J.C. GLASS?"

"People all over the world have attempted to determine the true identity of the mysterious writer of "The Known," "Into the Unknown," "Know How," and "Revelation" and all have failed! Tonight, in front of millions around the world, the glass will finally be shattered and the true identity of the mysterious author revealed."

The scoreboard clock continues to countdown as a preview of the upcoming movie adaption of "The Known" begins playing on the big screen.  

Then as the clock hits zero, everything goes dark before sounds of glass shattering ripple throughout the building, and a figure appears in the middle of the stage. 

Everyone stands and watches on as a beam of light, illuminates the backside of an individual, who then proceeds to turn around and face the cameras and crowd as the lights come up. 

"OH MY GOD!"

"NO FUCKING WAY!"

"IS THIS A JOKE?" 

"IS THAT ... ?"