|24| Foggy Awakenings

⚠️TW// Angst, blood, mentions of bodily harm, mentions of torture

28 days since the accident

21 days since Jeno's disappearance

TV static faded away to soft beeps and slightly rough blankets beneath the fingers. Cleanliness hung in the air the room swimming in the slightly irritating scent.

A dull ache pushed against the back of his head, unsure he brought a still arm pressing on the back of his head. The sudden pressure caused him to gasp in pain when black spots floated across his vision. Light fingertips ghosted over a multitude of stitches along the wound on the back of his head — it was fairly small, just felt larger than it is. His breathing picked up causing the soft beeps to increase in count.

Chenle pushed himself up into a sitting position scanning his surroundings carefully. Eyes dropping down to his arms he saw thin wirey material threaded through soft pale skin. Scabbed over scratches decorated the expanse of visible skin. Blends of colors so familiar yet unknown dug white hot sparks of fear into his spine. It latched on like a parasite.

How did he get here? Why was he hurting so much? Where is he? What time is?

His swirling confusion halted at reassuring coos. Mind scrambling to identify the clean cut eyeglass-wearing brunette before him Chenle furrowed his brows. "Hey Chenle, I'm glad to see you've come to. Don't move too much, okay?" The voice brushed his mind like a child's fingertip when something was out of reach.

"W-who are you?" The racer's voice came out in dry crackling rasps, unfamiliar to him.

Brunette man's mouth down turned in somewhat of a sad expression. Sensing he said something wrong Chenle felt pressure prick at his eyes. Why was he becoming emotional? The man handed him a glass of water, the younger taking it gratefully.

"I'm Kun, you were in an accident a few weeks ago." Kun spoke slowly, his disposition exuded calm and reassurance. "You might experience some memory loss, but it's not permanent. It'll take a while for everything to become unfoggy once more, but I'll be here every step of the way." A small noise of confirmation slipped past Chenle's lips.

Kun. Kun, why are you so familiar?

Scanning over the pristine empty beds the boy gathered he was in a infirmary. It's familiar, the large heavy door leading out, the second to furthest right bed. The place felt like home, a safe place.

"I'm in the base, right?" Chenle murmured between sips of water. He smiled up at Kun when receiving an affirmative nod.

The peachette distracted and lost in the fog hanging over his mind became unaware to Kun's calculating gaze.

Fingers tapping along on a tablet cradled in his arm, the doctor alerted Taeyong of his awakening. He swiped the screen away, a fresh blank white canvas presented itself. Perching on a matte gray rolling chair he clicked the pen off the tablet's edge.

Kun hummed in thought, observing and assessing the dazed racer before him. He noted the confused and slightly pained expression. Pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose the doctor pressed "are you in pain? Does anything hurt?" He spoke slowly to help Chenle process.

"M-my head and legs hurt. I can't really tell what else hurts." The boy in question murmured, brow pulled into a frown unfitting of his boyish face. "My chest hurts too."

Glassy eyes met a warm gaze, tears pooling at edge of his vision. Small hands clenched the fabric of the sheets, nails clawing for purchase. Movement and noise came behind Kun, large sliding door emitting a tumbling sound as it was pushed open. Chenle counted each head that passed through the threshold, a total of eighteen men filled the space.