|28| Healing Wounds

One week later

"You're telling me the Huang Renjun cried over me? Didn't think he had it in him." Jeno chuckled through a wince from the stretching of sore burns. He smiled softly at Chenle's sudden noise of concern.

He quietly allowed Chenle to fuss over him, cheeks flushing a pale rose pink when the peachette leaned into his space. Whispers of frustration bubbled from his companions lips, brows furrowed and lips pursed in concentration.

Jeno clasped the shorter males wrist in his calloused hand. Turning the much smaller hand over he caressed the inside of Chenle's wrist with his thumb. Gaze soft and affectionate he watched their clasped hands, the faintest hint of a smile curled at the corners of his mouth. Their breathing the only sound accompanying the small action of affection.

Over the week Jeno has been back and awake, he's had Chenle flutter around him, gaze and touch cautious and gentle like the petals of blossomed lilies. More often than not the two men were seen holding hands as if they were afraid to lose each other once again. While Jeno begun a partially smooth road to recovery, he was bed ridden. He didn't seem to mind too much as he had frequent visitors that kept him entertained.

Chenle became a welcomed presence in the infirmary, along with Tamo of course. The former had many stories and tales to tell from Jeno's unplanned leave of absence. One of Chenle's favorite stories to tell is about Donghyuck and his many failed attempts at getting Taeil's attention — this was a shocking thing to hear about. An odd pair, but Jeno fully supported as they actually meshed together well, besides the frequent petty arguments over food and music.

"Do you want change into a clean shirt?" Chenle's tinkling voice brushed against his senses pulling him from his thoughts.

Pausing to assess his shirt, Jeno nodded watching the younger male hold up two different shirts. The first one was a soft pale blue shirt with a circle cut neckline, the second was a black shirt with a print of a corgi laying down with tiny pink hearts floating above it with the phrase I ruff you very much in bubbly letters around it. Smiling softly, Jeno chose the puppy one for obvious reasons.

When the younger reached forward to help remove Jeno's shirt, his fingers brushed against the elder's sides causing Jeno to jerk away and let out a tiny whimper. Sadness pooled in Chenle's eyes upon seeing the startled reaction. "I'm sorry Dream. I wasn't trying to harm you, I promise. You're okay honey, he can't get you anymore. Okay?" Teary eyes met Chenle's eyes, Jeno slowly nodded before allowing the peachette to remove his shirt.

"Sorry."

"No, no, no, don't apologize. You do not need to apologize to me Jeno." Warm hands cupped Jeno's cheeks, thumbs rubbing over the prominent cheekbones. "You will never need to apologize to me for any of this."

Pressing a kiss to Jeno's forehead, the shorter male's lips lingered before pulling away. He met eyes with Jeno when he reached down once more to grab the hem of the shirt tugging it over Jeno's head. The white bandages beneath were revealed to Chenle's eyes along with the expanse of tan skin. Expression passive but open, Chenle placed the old shirt on the bed next to Jeno's hip. Opening the end of the soot black shirt, he carefully pulled the fabric down over Jeno's head of grown out blonde hair. He was silent while helping the elder slip his arms into the shirt.

Absentmindedly Chenle ran his fingers through the unruly mess of blonde and brown hair. The strands soft and silky between the fingers. His nails gently scrapped along Jeno's scalp, the tingling sensation pulled a noise akin to a purr to rumble from the male's chest. Glancing down at the blondes face he noticed the dark brown eyes were closed, lashes fluttering along the bridge of his cheekbones.

His heart thumped against his chest as if threatening to break out at the sight of a content Jeno. Removing his hands from the soft hair, he began to tuck them against his chest when Jeno caught one hand with his own. Panic bubbled beneath the surface from the gentle brush of slightly roughened fingers. Jeno smiled softly, his eyes intently watching Chenle look down at their clasped hands.

"Chenle?" The peachette hummed in response to Jeno's voice. "I love you."

The blonde's baritone voice rumbled along each syllable with care and affection. Adoration coated the words along with something the peachette couldn't place — sincerity.

The pale pink that dusted over Chenle's cheeks darkened into a bright rouge. His eyes widened in shock, body going rigid at those three words. The creeping feeling of fear and shock melted away upon seeing Jeno's face. Dark brown eyes bore into him with the softness of a warm hug, heart laid bare before him.

A sudden choking noise erupted from Chenle, he tapped his chest with his free hand while turning his face away from Jeno to cough. His ears burned a bright red, his cheeks dipped in the same hue. Peering back at the blonde he smiled softly, lips curling at the edges, eyes warm and sincere.

Jeno tugged Chenle closer to him, patting the edge of his bed for the younger to sit upon. A firm grip on the back of his neck guided the male to lean forward after perching on the bed. The hand wasn't harsh or demanding, but a gentle warm weight — its hold loose enough for Chenle to pull away if he wished to.

The young man, however, did not feel the need to pull away, instead he leaned closer.

Silence hung between the two flushed men, cheeks shifting between tints of red and pink. Their breaths intermingled, nerves fluttering against their pulse like the rapid beating of a butterfly's wings.

"Can I kiss you?"

The word slipped between Jeno's lips before he could think. "Yes." A whisper of agreement to what's to come.

Lips met in an awkward and stilted kiss — very unlike their past kiss. The angle was strange as Chenle didn't want to hurt Jeno with his weight. Even with the bumping of noses, scratchy-ness of Jeno's chapped lips pressing against Chenle's soft smooth ones, the kiss was meaningful. Jeno's hand on the back of the latter's neck played with the soft fluffy strands at the back of his nape. The sensation of calloused fingertips brushing against the sensitive skin on the back of Chenle's neck drew a breathy giggle from him.

Chenle pulled away when he needed air, chest heaving from the effort to gather oxygen. He looked at the chapped lips before pressing a gentle and slow kiss to them. He poured his soul into the simple gesture, fingertips gently cupping Jeno's jaw.

The warmth spreading through Jeno's chest at the sensation of the younger's lips on his own made him smile. Each gesture of love and affection began to mend and fill the cracks and scars left behind on Jeno's mind and soul.

-/-/-

After a grueling ten minute struggle, Chenle managed to help Jeno move into a wheelchair — the safest way for Jeno to get around without being an idiot and walking. The younger pushed Jeno through the halls of the base, happily waving to the members that passed them. Jungwoo giggled upon seeing the happy expressions adorning the boys faces.

Making their way through the living area, Jeno tapped Chenle's fingers to stop. Obediently, the man stopped the wheelchair and faced Taeyong — this of course wouldn't end well considering Jeno wasn't supposed to leave his bed yet.

"Before you say anything, don't get mad. I asked him to help me out of the bed. He mentioned using a wheelchair since it's safer than me walking around." Jeno's voice was slightly coarse as he addressed their leader.

The red head only nodded before sending a tiny thumbs up to Chenle. Lips quirking at the corners upon seeing their intertwined hands. Pink rose on Chenle's cheeks when Jeno pressed a soft kiss to the back of his hand after the peachette's grip tightened under Taeyong's calculating gaze.

Eyes cold and calculating, Taeyong scanned them both from head to toe. Jeno's body slumped back into the wheelchair, hand comfortably intertwined with Chenle's, a happy content grin on his features. A long drawn out sigh left Taeyong's smiling lips. "As long as you don't start walking around, then we won't have problems. Don't make me sic Kun on you." Doyoung elbowed his husband in the side, his own lips holding the faintest hint of a smug grin at the idea of sending Kun after Jeno.

———
It's been a while since I last updated, but I hope you enjoy fluffy Jenle. Only a few chapters left!