Chapter 10 - catching dinner

She flashed a fake smile. All her effort taken by the energy to produce one deceiving facial expression that she hoped would reduce the risk of being bombarded with stupid questions. Her eyes stared straight ahead, blocking any form of contact anyone attempted. She didn't want to talk.

Her bags had been packed for weeks.She just didn't know how to get out. Being surrounded by complete and utter ignorant idiots didn't help any situation she was in yet she still couldn't bring herself to leave the seemingly safe environment. The cobbled ground beneath her feet tore at the already wrecked souls of her worn trainers, adding further to the discomfort they already provided. The tattered plaid shirt she always wore hung from her hips, blood stains scattered across the pattern that was embroidered into the fabric.

He followed closely behind her. A blood relative he definitely was but a family member was a far stretch from where he stood on her radar. To her now, he was nothing but a coward. A traitor. A disgrace.

"Why don't ya' go shove ya' nose up someone else's ass Shawn" she spat at him, turning her head slightly so could make sure he paid attention to her.

"Your my sister Lou" he cried.

"And she was ya' niece" she yelled, spinning on her heel and squaring up to the five foot eight male. "But tha' clearly meant fuck all to ya'!" She was unsure if the tears in his eyes were real and honestly, she didn't care.

"Just let me help Lou" Shaun stated,

"I don't need your help"

"Well you need your bow to hunt" he pointed out "And you can't use your bow with your shoulder like that" he gestured towards her injury "So I think you kinda need me"

Lou chuckled in his direction. The disbelief on her face was evident and yet her brother stared at her, proud of his crappy deduction.

"I'll never need you"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Daryl watched  her from the door frame, his strong shoulders steadying his body as he slouched slightly. The sun bounced of her dark hair, the light breeze softly moving her hair as she placed her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. She was clearly distraught, and even though her knew nothing of her, something deep inside Daryl was the urge to console her. His hands constantly clenched and re-opened, fighting the urge to ensure the female was okay.

"I still don't trust these people" Rick stated, closing the house door behind him and standing with his right hand man. "You?"

"Nah" He replied, taking a drag of his newly lit cigarette. Rick followed Daryl's gaze, watching as his eyes remained locked onto the small figure that sat on the porch of the house down the block. A small smirk played on his face as he scanned his eyes between the pair.

"You don't get many chances in this world anymore" he advised, slowly making his way down the concrete steps in front of his friend. "Maybe this is yours"

"Thought you didn't trust her?"

"I don't" he sighed "But I think you do"

Have just found this as unpublished!

Please let me know what you think in the comments!

-Al