Chapter 18 - mommy's got you

Five years ago

No light invaded the house. The curtains remained shut and the interior completely silent. There were no footsteps. No movement. Just the distorted cries of a whimpering mother, who cradled her two year old child and hid in the upstairs closet of the spar bedroom. Her entire body shook, each inch trembling in terror as she tried desperately to ignore the screams of the dying word outside.

She whispered softly to her daughter. Quiet words of comfort leaving her mouth as she kissed her small warm forehead and rocked her back and forth. "It's okay. It's okay. Mommy's here, mommy's got you"

Shoes sat around her, scattered throughout the small storage space. There were mainly boots and trainers available as weapons of it was needed - she wasn't exactly the time of girl to prance around is stilettos.

The bottom trims of coats brushed against her hair as she tried to bat them away. Leather jackets over-populated the hangers, their pockets full of tissue and gum. She regretted not wrapping one around herself before locking themselves away, the small breeze from the window had recently become irritant and she was certain she couldn't put another layer of clothes on in such a tight space.

She could feel her arms getting heavy as she made sure to support the small girl. A little teddy bear hung from her mouth, it's cotton ear covered in saliva as she chewed on the soft object.

"It's okay Holly. It'll all be over soon"

As she spoke the handle of the bedroom door turned causing her to jump slightly before placing a hand over her mouth to stifle any noise. She struggled to control her breathing. Nothing could alert the monster of their presence. Nothing.

Holly wriggled in her arms, trying to resist her mother's grip. Before Lou has the chance to move the closet door flew open. This was it. This was how they would die. She was certain this would be the last moment she ever had with her daughter, but as she looked the intruder in the eye a sense of relief washed over her.

"Shaun?"