Chapter 87 - Family

Though she would usually protest against sitting in the back of any vehicle, Louise found herself compelled to slide into the rear of Rick's chosen car. Sure, her legs were pressed up against the seat in front of her and she was extremely uncomfortable but nothing was going to convince her to sit next to Rick and listen to his constant lecturing about how they would beat Negan. She knew nothing was going to stand in neither Rick, nor Negan's way and that the fight would ultimately end up with everyone dying but she wasn't entirely convinced that another outcome was possible.

She sat behind her friend, picking at her fingernails and scratching away at the surface as they drove, never once looking up from her hands. 'Walker' blood still stained her skin slightly from her most recent rampage outside the gates.

"We managed to get word to Maggie about what happened" Rick said, looking at her in the rear view mirror. "They're on board with the plan"

Louse scoffed and rolled her eyes. "The plan that we can't execute without weapons?"

"So, we get weapons" he stated.

"And where do you suppose we get them from, Rick?" she asked, looking up at him for the first time and raising her eyebrows expectantly at him.

The sherriff huffed as he parked the car outside the gates of The Hill Top and turned in his seat towards her. "Look, I know you're hurting, believe me, I do - but right now, we need you on your A game. I need you on your A game, alright?"

He looked at her pleadingly, willing her usual self to push through the wall she had built but she just nodded in reply and exited the small car, thankful to finally be out of the confined space. She followed behind him, dreading the conversation she knew she would have to have with Maggie and the blame she placed on herself. Carl walked next to her - he hadn't let her out of his site since they left - and Michonne walked next to Rick, Sasha and Michonne, all ready to explain their plan.

A loud creak echoed as the gates were pulled open, revealing the pregnant, southern female, who smiled at her friends fondly. Her face was mixed with worry and relief and she pulled Rick into a hug quickly, glad to see he was unscathed.

"You're okay?" he asked softly, keeping his hands on her arms as he moved away.

"I'm okay" she said. "The baby's okay...all of us"

"You were right. Right from the start. You told us to get ready to fight. I didn't listen and I couldn't...but I can now"

He moved backwards and placed a comforting hand on Lou's shoulder but she shrugged it off as soon as it happened and took two steps to her left. Though she knew deep down that he was trying to help, all she wanted to do was leave. At this point, nothing seemed to have a positive outcome in in her mind and the whole idea of believing in Rick's fantasies wasn't something that appealed to her anymore. It wasn't until she noticed the familiar pair of black boots that rounded the barn to her right that her heart started to agree again. Torn, dark blue jeans hung from his waist and a slightly small denim shirt moved with his torso, the top pocket completely missing. A breath hitched in her throat and she squeezed her eyes shut tightly but when she opened them...he was still there.

For a brief moment, it was as if the world had stopped turning. Her heart began to pound against her chest and her hand flew to her mouth as tears gathered on her waterline. Louise turned to Maggie, who was nodding slowly at her, a smile on her smile.

Daryl Dixon was standing not ten meters in front of her, his own eyes glassed over and his chest moving rapidly. Louise muttered 'oh my god's' under her beath as she took off in a jog towards him, slowing down as she neared his obviously bruised figure. He mimicked her actions, moving swiftly towards her and catching her as she fell into his arms.

The second his muscles laced around her waist, he felt at home. The soft scent of her apple shampoo, the faint odor of mild fabric softener and her small frame that wrapped delicately around his own. Soft whimpers escaped her lips as she nestled into his neck and held him close. Daryl himself couldn't hold back his tears as he clung to her life a life raft into the open water. They needed each other to survive.

"You're okay" she cried softly into the crook of his neck before moving away slightly and placed a hand on either side of his face. "Oh my god, you're okay"

"I'm alrigh'" he whispered, cupping her face and wiping her cheeks.

A light chuckle escape her lips as she placed her palms on the back of his and moved into his touch. She shook her head and before any doubt could kick in, she pressed her lips to his. Louise had expected him to recoil - the sudden realization that neither of them had ever shared any from of affection in front of their friends kicking in - but he slid a hand down to her neck and held her steady, kissing her back with just as much force. She held onto his shirt, not wanting to let go of the moment; refusing to loose him again.

They ignored the smirks from their friends as they pulled away, both their eyes still locked onto each other until the rest of the group moved towards them. Rick nodded towards Daryl, the two of them sharing a quick 'I'm okay' nod before they hugged each other, crying silently. The two brothers had finally been reunited and that was enough of a win as any of them expected today.

Jesus stood just behind Daryl, leaning against the trailer they appeared from and smirking at Louise, knowing full well that she understood he had saved him. Just as Rick pulled his closest friend into a tight hug, she moved towards the long-haired man and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Thank you"

"Any time" he muttered, patting her back as she moved away. "And...uh, I'm sorry about Shaun...he was a great-"

Louise shook her head. "Please don't say he was a great guy, Paul. Hell, he wasn't even a good guy...but he was family. He was the only family I had left"

"No" he said, shaking his head and wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he nodded towards Daryl. "He's your family"