Chapter 52 - Law of Averages?

The drive was uncomfortably silent apart from the rattling sound of Daryl opening a chocolate bar. He snapped half of the stick of KitKat into two and passed once piece to Louise, who in turn passed it over to Rick as he drove. Another snapping rang out and Daryl passed her half of the second stick. She smiled gratefully before letting the smooth chocolate touch her tongue.

"Today is still the day" Rick insisted, smirking at them as Louise pulled the metal tag a the soda can and brought the drink to her lips. She swallowed a mouthful of liquid and handed it to Daryl, who chugged the cold drink quickly.

"Hey, look at that" Rick said, removing his grip from the steering wheel and pointing in front of him.

Daryl leant forwards in his seat as Rick pulled the van onto a large field. "Yeah, a barn"

The van dropped continuously down small holes of soil as it made its way towards the old red building. For a moment, Louise mistook the second noise to be the wheels rebounding but quickly realised it was coming from above them.

"You hear that?" she asked, turning down the volume on the radio.

"Son of a bitch is on the roof!" Daryl grumbled.

Rick shook his head.

"Hold on" he sighed.

An arm was held out in front of her small frame, shielding her as Rick slammed on the break. Her torso connected with Daryl's arm briefly before she jolted backwards. Jesus fell from the roof, rolling down the windscreen quickly and collapsing in a heap in front of the vehicle.

Louise held her breath, silently willing him to get to his feet. After a short while, he pushed himself up from the ground and bolted. Rick moved the van forwards quickly, chasing the male as he ran across he grass. The door to Lou's right opened and Daryl hung from the moving vehicle.

"Mother-"

He jumped.

"Daryl!" Lou shouted after him, moving into the seat he had occupied and hanging her head out of the window. "DARYL!"

"WE CAME TO A CONCLUSION ASSHOLE!" He yelled, gaining on the thief. Countless times, they changed directions, cutting each other off and restarting their chase.

The van slowed to a stop and they both exited the vehicle. Rick ran towards a small group of 'walkers', taking them out one by one as they reached for him. His knife entered their skulls, cracking bones as it slid between the chunks of brain.

Lou took off in the other direction, helping Daryl capture Jesus like a dog rounding sheep. She danced around him, moving side to side with her arms out besides her, attempting to guide him towards Daryl. Jesus dodged her grip and ran towards the unguarded van quickly. He dived into the front seat.

"Come here you little shit!" Daryl snapped, tugging on the back of his jacket. Lou ran to the other side and pulled open the door.

"Surprise asshole"

She used the roof to pull herself upwards and launched her legs into the vehicle, connecting her boots with Jesus's back as Daryl yanked him forwards.

The long haired male revealed a small black gun that he had taken from the small compartment besides him and held it out in front of him.

"Duck" he said, pulling the trigger as Daryl crouched down. The bullet darted through a stray 'walker', it's eye flying from the back of his head and dropping to the ground at the same time as it's body.

"Thanks" Daryl smirked before launching himself towards Jesus. "That's my gun!"

His fist connected with Jesus's cheek and he brought himself enough time to remove the man from the vehicle. Jesus's elbow hit the hand break upon exit and the vehicle began to move backwards towards a small quarry. Daryl fell from the truck, his back smacking against a tree as Jesus dropped to the floor. He lifted his head, only to be forced back down by the bottom of the door - knocking him out cold.