Chapter 60 - Damn straight

The sun blared down on them, casting a small afternoon shadow across the grounds of The Hilltop. Louise stood on the porch of Barrington House with her back pressed firmly against the white picket fences. She kept her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes locked on the ground, barely looking up at her friends. The satisfying sound of Daryl sharpening his knife opposite her was enough to keep her oddly comforted.

"Gregory's up. He wants to talk" Jesus said, approaching the waiting group. "But he'll only talk to Maggie"

Rick and Maggie locked eyes as he placed an encouraging hand on her shoulder. "You got this"

She nodded and followed Jesus back into the large building.

"I'm sorry in advance" Jesus sighed. "Gregory can be a real prick"

Louise smirked, a soft chuckle escaping her lips as she finally removed her gaze from the wooden slats bellow her. Daryl had been watching her discreetly, every so often taking his eye off the blade in his hands.

"Hey, Lou?" a voice whispered. Shaun slowly made his way towards the fence and placed his palms on the charred wood. "Can I talk to you?"

She looked towards Daryl, who narrowed his eyes at the man wearily. Louise sighed and nodded.

"Yeah"

She pushed herself away from the wood and followed him down the steps. Shaun was not fond of confrontation, however minute it may be, but he lead his sister far enough away for them to still be in earshot of the others. When Louise got angry there was no telling what she would do.

"Go" she said, once again crossing her arms.

"I just...I just want you to know that I'm trying, okay?" he said quickly, struggling to maintain eye contact. "I'm trying to make amends"

"I don't see how that's even possible, Shaun"

"Be that as it may, I need to at least try and fix this" he gestured between them.

"Shaun-"

"Will you at least let me try?" he asked. "Please?"

Louise took a deep breath and closed her eyes, ignoring the flashing images of her daughter's death.

"Yeah...okay" she sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "But if you put so much as one foot out of line-"

"You'll shoot me?"

She raised her eyebrows. "Damn straight"

"She made the deal" Rick stated, walking towards them with Daryl and Abraham in tow. "Half of their stuff if we take out The Saviors. Up front - You! What's your name?"

The male that had attacked them earlier stopped in his tracks and turned towards them. "Andy"

"Jesus said you've been taking supplies from Negan since the beginning" he said. "We're gettin' Craig back"

Andy scoffed. "Only way to get Craig back is to bring them Gregory's head"

"We're gonna get Craig back" Rick smirked, certainty dripping from every word.

"How?"

"we need to know what you know about Negan's compound. We need your help" he stated. "We need you to come with us"

He contemplated his answer for a while before agreeing to help. Lou sighed, knowing it was one more body to fall in the line of battle. The number of unavoidable casualties was growing by the minute.