Chapter 59 - What?

The wooden steps echoed with every bounce of her dirty combat boots. Her bow still hung over her body, the small bag of arrows tapping off her back and fletching's pointing up at the sky as she walked away from Barrington House.

The group followed Gregory through the grounds, where three members of Hill Top stood covered in blood and sweat.

"Ethan, what happened to everybody else?" Gregory asked, coming to a stop a few feet away from a man dressed in blue. "Where's Tim and Marsha?"

"They're dead" he stated angrily, pushing his hands into the pockets of his navy jacket.

Gregory furrowed his eyebrows together. "Negan?"

Daryl cocked his head to the side at the mention of the familiar name.

"Yeah"

"We had a deal"

"He said it wasn't enough" another male said, walking away from the woman they had returned with. "Was the drop light?"

"No" he said, matter-of-factly.

"They still have Craig" the woman cried, keeping her distance from their 'leader'.

Slowly, Ethan began to walk towards Gregory. "They said they'd keep him alive, return him to us, if I deliver a message to you"

"So, tell me"

"I'm sorry" he sighed, removing his hand from his pocket and plunging a knife into Gregory's abdomen. He dropped backwards fast, clutching at his bleeding stomach. Jesus and Maggie caught him before he hit the ground and lowered him carefully, adding pressure to the wound as Rick dived forwards and seized Ethan.

"Get off me!" he shouted. "Get off me, I had too!"

The second male ran towards them. He reached for Rick but Louise was quicker and she pulled him backwards by his shirt. She connected her fist with the side of his jaw, blood spluttering from his lips as he turned. He lifted his leg and before she had the chance to counter, he kicked her in the stomach. Shaun bolted to her side, fists clenched but he was tackled and thrown to the ground. A foot connected with his ribs before his body was straddled. Hands closed around his throat. Shawn choked and tried to suck in a breath as he scratched his fingernails down the man's wrists.

Louise hauled herself up from the ground, grunted and swung her foot forwards. Shaun's attacker fell sideways as her boot collided with his temple. He landed on the grass with a thud. Daryl interjected and pulled on his hand. He stamped on his wrist and snapped the bone in two.

"Hey!" Lou shouted, taking a step towards Rick's opponent, who had the sheriff pinned to the floor with his knee on his chest.

"Get back!" Ethan yelled. "Anyone who tries to stop me is killing my brother!"

"Yeah?" Lou spat, pulling her gun out. "Well your friend just tried to kill mine"

Rick's blade sliced through Ethan's throat.

Crimson liquid spilled from his jugular and coated Rick's neck and face in warm blood. Ethan clutched at his throat in a feeble attempt to slow his death but in a few short seconds he dropped, motionless onto Rick's torso.

The sheriff pushed the body off him and scrambled to his feet. Blood had already dried on his face and the only clear skin was around his dark eyes. Rick raised his eyebrows and with a smirk on his face, said "What?"

"ETHAN!" the second HillTop member screamed, failing to push himself up with one broken arm. "You killed him!"

"He tried to kill Gregory, then me!" Rick yelled, pointing towards the man that lay bleeding on the floor before the recently returned female punched him across the jaw.