45

"I knew it! That girl, the charmer, made sure that she caught her. Even Ed has not been returning my calls. Ella's number says it's out of reach. What're we supposed to do now?"

Dan sat with me in an empty class, his eyes tightly shut with frustration. This was the first time Syndicates were seriously tracking down the Saviours.
I cleared my throat, keeping my eyes low. Dan glanced at me.
"Oh... you told me that it's not safe, right? Did you know she's gonna get kidnapped?"
"No... I didn't."
"So why did you warn me?"

I didn't look at his eyes.
"Dan, do you remember that once you'd asked me about my secret, and I told you I'll say it when I think it's time?"
"Yeah, but is that relevant now?"
"Yes. The secret's very relevant."
"Then why don't you say it quicker?"

I took a deep breath.
"The Red-eyed demon, you people were searching for a while, is Rio."

Dan's eyes bulged out.
"What?"
"Yes."

His hand now covered his mouth in shock.
"Rio? Rio Carlson? Why the hell didn't you say anything before?"
"He told me not to."
"So you spilled our names to him just cause you like him so much?"

Wait, what? I didn't do that!

"NO. NOT AT ALL. I could never do something like that!"

"Then why did you hang out with him even after knowing that he's from Syndicate?"

"He protected me at times."

"Oh, and so you took his side?"
Dan expression was growing colder and colder with every sentence.

"I DIDN'T TAKE HIS SIDE! I don't know much about Syndicate in the first place. And he didn't do anything to me, so I kept the secret, trying my best not to interfere in all these matters."

"So why telling me this now?"

"He asked me where I was during that night. I lied that I was at home. Then he said that the Syndicates have tried to identify me, they even went through the Saviour registration lists, but couldn't recognise. I lied to Rio that I'm not the girl, and he said he hoped that it's true. He thought I'm not the unknown girl, so he threatened me yesterday, saying that I shouldn't get involved with Saviours, as you people are at risk. After he went away, I instantly called you and Shirlyn, but both of you didn't pick up."

Dan was silent for a while.

"So you're saying you didn't give him the information?"

"Of course not. Why would I do that? Won't I be caught too then?"

He was shaking his head in disbelief, but his cold unreadable expression softened. He looked at me again, his eyes showing care instead of anger.

"So, by telling us, you went against his threats?"

"Yeah. I couldn't see my friends being hurt. But, it's too late, I'm too late."
My voice cracked, and tears relentlessly flowed down my cheeks.

Dan slowly came closer and took me into a light hug. I hid my eyes in his shirt, unable to show him my face.
I was so hopeless.

He patted on my head gently, giving me time to recover.
"Vinnie, I'm sorry okay? I didn't know you're going through so much all alone."

Unable to form words, I nodded my head.

He reached for his phone on the table.

"Hey, where are you?"
Dan called someone and talked for a bit.
"Yeah, okay, let's meet tonight. I'll text you before I come. Bye."

He kept the phone aside.
My face must have shown the visible question.

"I called Drew. We'll meet tonight. He can help us."