19

Mr. Clinton had no ulterior motives to scare me out of my wits. He only did what was best for the class. Shirlyn's the topper, I am at second, Austin's third and Hanneli's fourth.
Rio's at fifth.
He was just taking projects from the top five of the class. Totally normal. But me? I wasn't sure about the way I should respond. Teaming with Rio means working hours together. That too, after school.
This is seriously not good.
The more I wanted to keep the safe distance intact, the more I get entangled in this mess.

On top of that, we had only six days in hand. Today's Friday, and the next Friday was the upcoming Science Fair. So I guess I am stuck with a demon for the whole week. Sigh.

As the class got dismissed, Rio stood up and turned.
"If you are ready, we can start it today."
What the HELL. I have not recovered from the shock of being tied with you for a week yet, and you are asking about being ready?

"Nope. I'm not." He went silent for sometime.
"I've done some projects in my previous school. We can choose one of them."
The confidence in his eyes made me accept his offer. I wouldn't need to search the old books from the library anymore I guess.

"Fine."
"Let's go home together then." He said with a straight face. I don't know why he is rushing so much.
But, the sooner the better anyway.

Dan and Ruth were waiting at the school gate.
"Hey guys, I'll walk with him today. Gotta discuss about the project so...."
"Yeah yeah.....understood. Do your best." Dan grinned with a thumbs up.
He inched a little bit closer.
"Your project MUST WIN. Got it?"
The smile made me nod too. Thanks for the motivation there.
Then he turned towards Rio and said the awkwardest thing ever.
"Take care of her, okay?"
And now Rio, AKA the Red eyed will be so sure of that absolute lie I spoke at night.
Rio kept his gaze low, and nodded.

Ruth kept a hand on my shoulder and tugged me nearer.
"Hey lucky girl.... Best of luck!" She whispered with a grin, and a two-eyed wink. She thinks I am lucky. Rio IS a popular guy after all. She must be envious. But she doesn't quite realize the lion's den I am heading to this time. God save me from being anymore luckless than this.

***********************************

"So Mumma, I'm leaving now."
She came out of the kitchen.
"But you remember right? I don't want you to be returning after dinner and throw lame excuses, okay?" She smiled.
"Yeah Mum. Sure."
I told her about the sudden plans with Rio. Although she still thinks it's an excuse for a date, she didn't impose any rules, other than the dinner one which is common every time. On the contrary, she looks happier. Guess her daughter's grown up a lot.

I saw Rio standing at my gates.
"I could call you. You didn't have to wait here." I said, walking towards him. He looked taller, and the more steps I took, I felt smaller. When did he grow so much? Guys and their puberty. Sigh.

"I came just now. I'm fine." He smiled. Oh gosh, he looks so beautiful with the smile.
But alas, I can see what that really is, the demon's lure.

We walked till the McCarthy's Cake shop, and behind it was his home. He opened the gates, and I walked behind, watching everything on our sides. His lawn had flowers all over, butterflies roaming above them. The afternoon sunlight made them look even more prettier.

The front door opened. A young lady stood at the door. His mom.
"She is Vanessa."
I smiled at her.
"Ohh! Come inside, quick." She smiled and ushered us inside.
"So you are my Rio's friend. He keeps saying a lot about you."
She looks at him, he mouths "Mom?" and blushes slightly.
He talks about me? Unbelievable!
"And look, you are such a pretty little girl, hon! Your mom must be a beauty."
That made me blush. No one said that to me for so long. She is too sweet.
"Thanks." I muttered in embarrassment. She chuckled at my pink face.

"Come." I saw Rio walking towards his room. I walked towards him. His room was clean. Everything in place. No posters on the walls too. Maybe he is too busy lurking in the shadows to stick posters in his room. Duh.

He motioned me to sit in the chair in front of his PC. He searched for the file and opened it. His left hand was resting on my chair's back, the right hand moving the mouse. His head was tilted slightly towards my head, looking intensely at the screen. My eyes suddenly caught his perfectly arched collar bone, which peeped out of his t-shirt. A small locket dangled in front of me. A little closer, and my nose would touch it. He indeed was SO DAMN CLOSE. But he didn't notice it yet. He constantly kept talking about the competition in his junior high and the questions judges usually focus on. But his voice felt distant, nothing entering my blocked head. He was so pale, he could pass for the male version of Snow white. And he smelled sweet. So sweet. His breathe breezed lightly on my warm face.

"Umm... Vanessa? Are you listening?" His voice broke my delusion.
What was he talking about just now? Who remembers.
He turned at me.
"Vanessa?"
THUMP. Was that my heart?
His face was close to mine. It was smooth, with a mole at the side of his left eye. His eyebrows creased a bit in the middle and I realised I had stared too much. I quickly turned my head away.
"Umm... I'm just feeling a bit off today. Mind if you explain it again, the project?" I pointed at the monitor screen, praying he would avert his eyes towards it now.
"Your ears. They are red."
THUMP.
What, again?
He is still looking at me. Please don't. My face started glowing with heat.
"Don't worry about the ears. They're like that when I'm concentrating. You go on." I lied.

I had to be focused. Now is not the time to be lured under his deception.
This time, I listened to the whole lecture he gave me. Slowly, my heart paced down to normal.
Studying made me calm.
But what was all of that anyway?
Those loud thumps?
I need to do something about it ASAP I guess.

*********ATTENTION PLEASE********

Knock knock. It's been a while.
Next part will be up soon. Until then, stay tuned(≧▽≦)
Do vote and comment. Those mean a lot to me.💜