Chapter Two: Jacqueline

I stare at her arm in horror. "So...you have no boyfriend?" I ask her. 

"No. This is what I've been doing at night..."

I step away from Val slowly as I glare at her. "What the hell, Val? You could have just asked for help. You did not have to do this to yourself...not..." I shake my head. 

"I know how much you hate blood slaves. I know how much you hate vampires, but our sisters wouldn't keep their mouths shut. I wanted to tell you because I know you could keep a secret. I just needed to tell someone."

"You made a mistake, Val," I say as I shake my head. "You can never get away now. You're stuck. I...I can't help you if things get out of hand. I can't save you," I say sadly. 

She looks down sadly as she rolls her sleeve down. "I know. I don't want to drag you into this. I just wanted to tell you." 

My head bows as I close my eyes. "Val... I don't know what to say. A blood slave? Do you realize how serious that is? It's horrible. Is... Is there any way? Is there any way we could get you out?"

"I'm not asking for help. You're right. There's nothing I can do once I get into it, but Dutch," Val says as she looks at me. To my surprise, Val walks towards me and grips my arms. I raise my head and look down at her. "It really isn't so bad, Dutch. The man that owns me is gentle. He doesn't give me to anyone else. He's nice and he treats me like a lady, and-"

"Do you hear yourself, Valmet?" I snap as I pull away from her. "This isn't a man. This is a vampire you're talking about. I don't care how gentle or nice he is. He's a vampire. They're all the same: disgusting. And you're addicted. It's not the vampire. It's the feeling you get when he feeds off you. This is... Valmet, I don't like this." 

"Dutch please...it really isn't that bad. I'm not addicted...I really like him. He's really sweet, and he gives me money in return after he feeds from me. Is that so wrong?"

"Yes! Yes, it is wrong! You're letting a parasite feed off you!" I yell angrily as I glare at her. 

She likes a vampire? I swear...I never thought Valmet was stupid, but I'm really starting to think she is now. 

Val looks down in shame. "But you won't tell anyone, will you?" she asks quietly. 

"No. I won't say anything, Val," I say coldly. "But you won't drag me into this blood slave thing. You are on your own when it comes to your little gentle vampire."

"I promise," Val says quietly as she looks down with guilt in her eyes. 

Immediately, I feel bad for treating her like shit. She didn't have a choice, I understand that part. 

"Val, I'm sorry. I just... I can't have anything happen to you. I can't even let anything happen to me. Then what would happen to Clipper?" I say quietly. I step towards Val and wrap my arms around her tightly as she cries. 

"I'm sorry, Dutch. I know it was wrong, but I didn't want to have to borrow money again from Mom, but I'm really falling apart. I needed something quickly..." Val sobs on my shoulder. Her hot tears seep through my shirt. 

"It's okay, Val, I'll find a way to get you out of this if I can. If I have to, I'll try to work something out..." I say quietly. 

Honestly, I really don't want to because usually when you try to get someone out of something impossible, you end up being dragged into it as well. Val is my sister though. She makes mistakes like I do but bounding yourself to a vampire willingly is different than having sex with a bitch that only cares about herself. I much rather not even help her. What can I do, though? I really cannot help it. If my son got into something like a vampire, I would do anything to get him out.