Chapter Thirty-One: Every Inch

“Zuriel?” Helios asks in confusion. “You mean the guy that created the Vampire Boom? He's your friend? He ruined New York City!” 

My body trembles with rage as I glare at him murderously. “Zuriel didn't do it! It wasn't him! It was a witch having vampires turn humans!” I snap. “He was a hybrid! He wasn't capable of turning anybody into a vampire!” 

Helios's eyes widen in surprise. “So the vampire history books are wrong?” 

“Completely,” I growl. 

His eyes narrow slightly as he loosens up a bit. “Then enlighten me, Tegan.” 

My arms fold across my chest as I look away from him as I lick my lips. “What do you want to know, ass?” 

“What about the hybrid that supposedly killed Zuriel? He was the other son of Angser, I believe.” 

My brow arches. “Gadriel didn't kill Zuriel. Zuriel is...” I trail off. “Honestly, I don't know where Zuriel is. I thought... I thought you were him, to be honest...” 

“Excuse me?” Helios asks with serious sass. 

“Yeah... You kinda look like him, but your hair and eye color are not the same. That's why I said we met over a misunderstanding,” I say quietly. “Dracula thinks he killed Zuriel, but he's not dead. I don't believe he is at all, and I don't know where Gadriel is. He left five years ago after Zuriel 'died.'” 

“Hm...” Helios mumbles. “So I'm working for an antagonist.” 

“Yes, you are, and how long ago was it when you were born?” I ask him curiously. 

His eyes widen in surprise. “Uh, around five years ago,” Helios answers. 

“Must be the Wendigo in you then,” I mutter as I study him carefully. “How did you meet a human and become friends with him if you were growing so fast?” 

Helios laughs darkly as he looks over at the sleeping boy on the bed. “He actually...” He shakes his head. “It's none of your business.” 

A smirk forms on my lips. “Well, tell me how much Dracula is paying you to catch me,” I say with a crooked smile as I stroll towards him slowly. “How much am I worth?” 

Helios's body stiffens when I stop directly in front of him. “Twenty-five thousand.” 

I scowl angrily. “That's it? That little fucker...” I mutter. “We need a plan.”

Helios scoffs as he looks down at me like I'm crazy. “We? I'm not making any plans with you.” 

“Wait a minute,” I growl as I turn around and walk towards the fridge. When I open it, I pull out the vase full of Mina's ashes, close the fridge, and walk back to Helios. “Here,” I say as I offer him the vase. 

His eyes widen. “You're just giving it to me?” 

“I didn't know if was Mina's ashes, and I don't want a dead body. I was telling the truth about that,” I state bluntly. 

Helios shifts his weight on one foot as he studies me with mistrust in his eyes. “Why should I believe a thief such as yourself?” 

I let out a giggle as I put on an innocent face. “Well, take a look at the vase. It's it. I'm not lying, hunter. If hunters had cuffs, would you arrest me?” 

Helios's face pales drastically as he takes a step back away from me. “I'm a pacifist, thief, so I rather you not push me.” 

I snort as I try to push down my laughter. “A bounty hunter is a pacifist? And you accuse me of lying!”