Chapter Forty-One: Rebirth

HELIOS

The next morning we were outside and getting ready to leave in a car, which is probably better than Amaranth teleporting us since Nix didn't do well afterwards. He slept and remained silent the whole night and this morning. Angser doesn't seem like he's in too much of a good mood since he's back in New York again.

I don't blame him; I wouldn't want to be here either.

"Well, you're leaving us," Tegan says with a sad smile to me.

My eyes widen in surprise as I look down at her. "I didn't think you would miss me all that much."

She shrugs slightly as she looks down at the ground. "Well, yeah, I'm going to miss you, I suppose."

I nod slowly as I study her through narrowed eyes. "Yeah, well, I don't believe you," I say with a smile as I get in the driver side of the car.

Amaranth is inside with Angser. We didn't really say much of a goodbye since I don't know them too well. Angser can't come out anyways since he's a vampire.

Nix climbs in the passenger seat while I roll down the driver side window for Tegan to peek through.

"Well, I hope everything works out for the two of you," she tells Nix and me.

I nod slowly as I look over at Nix, but I frown when I see him glaring coldly as Tegan. So I look back at Tegan and force a smile.

"Well, I do too. I hope everything works out for you too," I say before rolling up the window quickly.

I have nothing much to say to Tegan either. Some things that she did were questionable... A lot of the things that she said bothered me more than what she did.

That doesn't really matter anymore. I'm coming back home with Nix to Scotland. This is probably for the best anyways. Like he said, it's to keep him safe mostly. He's human so he can't be involved in this being so...weak.

"The ghost," Nix states coldly as I begin to drive.

My brow arches as I look over at him. "The ghost?"

"Yeah, the ghost that follows Tegan around..." Nix trails off. "He's evil. He may be controlling Tegan to some level."

I let out a snort as I shake my head. "There's no way that a ghost could control someone-"

My sentence was cut off when the back of the car is suddenly lifted into the air, flipping the vehicle three or four times.

Everything moved so slowly at the moment. My body is jerked in all kinds of directions, but it doesn't hurt me. The car flipping isn't really a big deal...

But...

By the time the car stops, it's upside down, and we're upside down with it. Glass from the windshield was completely shattered, and there's a strong stench of gasoline with the sound of metal groaning.

When I turn my head to look over at Nix to see if he is all right, I freeze when I see him looking right at me with his cold dead brown eyes.

His head hangs limply resting against the seat with blood trailing out of his nose and mouth.

"Nix..." I whisper as horror washes over me at the sight of Nix's dead face so emotionless and cold-looking.

Just as I'm about to reach over to grab Nix by the collar of his shirt, the gasoline ignites, and the car explodes.