Chapter Thirty Two

Depuis le début

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

Maybe he was right. He was a stupid brown curly hair employee, but could be a cup of fun at times.

"I'm sorry," I finally apologized.

He didn't budge. He still kept his angry pouted lips and knitted brows.

"A hug?" I asked and he came over.

"We're at work. Don't get weird," I turned him down and walked over to the machine for some coffee.

"You know sometimes I need a hug too!" he whined.

"Then grow up!" I shot with a smirk and he rolled his eyes.

"You have an outing scheduled today with miss Mercedes,"

"With who now?" I asked.

"Miss Mercedes," he said again.

"Why?"

"Your parents said to have a nice outing after the incident last night and get both your minds relieved from the stress,"

"And the goons from yesterday?" I asked.

"Oh, your father took care of them," he smiled.

"Good," I nodded and returned the mug.

"Where's she now?" I asked.

"Banks said to meet them at the park,"

I laughed. "So, you're into Banks now?"

"What? No!" he shot as his cheeks turned red.

"Admit it. You like her," I urged.

"No. I don't," he cried out.

"I'll help you with her," I suggested in a trick.

"Really?" he asked so eagerly and I burst out laughing once again.

"I should leave now before I crack your head with annoyance," I chuckled and left him there.

I should've gotten him a girlfriend much earlier.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

It was sunny but the wind cooled it from time to time as the children played around. Parents at the shady seats and lazy babysitter's at the food area. I was still wondering why I was there.

"So, of all the places in this world to have an outing, you choose the park?" I asked as I sat down on the swing, just beside Mercedes with children all around.

"Its fun. And you'll like it here," she replied.

"You should have considered the fact that we're both adults in a children's park and i'm a billionaire in a suit on a swing, with children playing around me like I was some toy car," I blurted.

"That's just the egotistical you talking. Let go and realize the fun you're missing," she said.

"Egotistical me?" I asked.

"You heard it right," she replied with a smile.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"Should I get something to eat?" Banks asked as she stood up from the rock she sat on.

"Ice cream. And popcorn. And, oh,oh! A popsicle. And cotton candy and - "

"That's enough, kiddo," I interrupted and stood up.

She pouted her lips in annoyance.

"whatever. Just get it all," I changed my mind and handed her my wallet.

I returned to the swing reluctantly and stared at the view of the park.

"So, who was it?" she spoke up, turning to me with a simple smile on her lips.

"Who was who?" I asked, raising a brow.

She laughed. "Are you trying to be funny?"

"No. Not really," I shook my head.

"You reeked, Caden. You reeked of alcohol and women's perfume and I carefully pointed out a smudge of strawberry baby pink lip gloss on your neck and your lips. You can't lie," she looked at me.

She was a detective, alright.

"You got it all wrong," I started, speechless.

"Mackenzie?" she asked.

"No, not - "

"If I hadn't called last night, would you have ever remembered me or at least, returned back home?" she interrupted.

"I don't understand the questions," I stopped her.

"Never mind," She shrugged as Banks approached with hands full with Mercedes's child-like food choices.

°°°°°°°°°°

"Are you sure you'll be able to return to work by tomorrow?" I asked as she laid on the bed and shut her eyes.

"For the millionth time, i'm okay," she replied.

"Well, okay. Good night then," I said and turned off the lights.

"Good night," she replied and I closed the door.

That was not what she was yesterday. What the fuck happened to her?

Author's Note.

Thank you all so much for reading this chapter. It means a lot to me.

Don't forget to vote and share your thoughts in the comment section below.

We're at 2.29k reads, people and 431 votes. I'm so grateful!!!

Thanks ah - gain!

PaulyQueen...