Chapter Fifty Four

Beta Harris

I could feel it in every inch of my body like potent fire simmering through my veins. The timeless empty void beginning to fill with the power of my wolf. Both joining at the surface our lives finally meaning something other than loss,grief and pain. We were one.

For the longest time I'd forgotten what a gift life was. No more timeless days,moths or years. It felt like I'd taken my first breath all over again, opened my eyes and witnessed colour and life. Felt the cold wind brushing against my skin cooling my heated body down.

Hearing the furious growl of my wolf within me again brought me back to life. I was going to save my son, and Breya.

The thought of them both reminded me of the innocent pup Jackson once was. For weeks after he first came to live with me he begged, pleaded for me to adopt Breya. He confided in me he believed in me his hopeful eyes sizzling with hope.

But I failed him, them. I was so caught up in my own inner termoil I couldn't see past my shattered heart. Until I felt the life within me stir the more I grew to know him. The day Larsen first hurt him was the day my wolf accepted him. The day he first shown himself after the years without Sarah.

I felt hopeful for a long time that he was coming back to me, but he only ever surfaced when he sensed Jacksons distress. The pain of loosing our mate was hard for me, but unbearable for him. One side of us died meaning we would never be whole. The one thing a wolf dreams of was stolen from us.

The shameful part was we couldn't fight, we couldn't avenge our loss because we were broken. Not anymore I wouldn't allow this facade to carry on. My true destiny was to be alpha of this pack,it was my birthright and my legacy.

No longer would I be the puppet Larsen had forced me to be. After Jackson became my son I began to regain my senses. Each of them screaming for me to look into my mother's death.

Each time I uncovered the truth of this monster I felt the burn of fury within me. Without my wolf being fully present though I wasn't strong enough to fight him, I wasn't even strong enough to go against his command.

My wolf was inside of me just hidden, his natural nature was one of a leader but without her he cared little for instincts or anything. I could feel anger, the need for revenge and blood from my wolf. As he rumbled inside me like a valcano ready to erupt.

He stole everything from me, my life as I knew it, my mother and father the people who brought me into this world. My mate,my wolf and my pack. He would not take my son from me.

From the moment that beast arrived in our pack, my life change for the worse. It just took me years to put it together. A long time ago, I was happy this pack was happy. My life was full of love, life and happiness. I'm not even sure I remember what thats truly like.

I may have spent majority of my life in soul shattering pain and numbness, but I wanted Jackson to experience the same happiness I once did. He deserves a mate, love, home and family. Something he hasn't had since being a young child.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I walked towards Larsen office. The door was still in splinters on the ground from the Royal beta. Larsen sat with a bottle of whisky on the desk, his feet up with a satisfied grin on his face.

It took me every bit of strength to keep my wolf surpressed. His anger was to fierce for me to be able to do it for long. He knew I needed to buy time, but just his name was enough to make me want to ripp him to shreds. I didn't realise it would be this difficult to play the loyal beta.

"where have you been beta?"

For years he had called me that, the underlying mimicking tone as he utter Beta but only now did it make my blood boil. My wolf was ready to make him submit in a display of who was the true dominant one the true alpha . I had to force my gaze towards the window to stop the growl of my beast.

"I was dealing with the patrols, now the pack can function again"

"stop them, I don't want any patrols out.. Yet"

I could hear the excitement in his tone, the twisted gears in his head turning as he thought of whatever devious plot he planned to play next. Stiffly I nodded to him ready to leave the room until he stopped me.

"we have somewhere to go first"

Following him towards the hospital it didn't take me long to figure out his goal. As soon as he finished taunting the beta of the Royal pack he left. Satisfied with the frustration he left behind him. He believed he held the winning hand but id be dammed if he kept it.

Once I'd given colby the details he asked for, I found the head of patrol at the edge of the forest. Telling him of our alphas orders, he seemed confused at the bizarre request but I had no interest in explaining something I didn't understand myself.

Once I returned to the office, Larsens frame was stood glancing out of the window. The strange tentions in the room had my wolf bristling his fur out, alerted by the scene in front of us.

"do you know what loyalty means to me Beta?"

I knew he wasn't looking for an answer and I was gratefull. I bit down on my tongue in an attempt to surpress the blood curdling snarls of my beast. He wanted out he was tired of playing beneath him. We both new Larsen was incapable of ever being loyal.

"of course you do, my old friend. I know the boy means something to you. But you had to know he was always just a means to an end?"

Snarls left my lips, I couldn't control myself or my beast as he spoke of my son as if he was just a pawn in his vindictive games. Like his life didn't matter so long as he had successfully fulfilled his purpose as his puppet. The bitter chuckle thst left Larsen made me desperate to taste his sickening blood.

"relax Beta, we have time to discuss this later for right now, we have far to much to celebrate"

My face remained a vision of anger as he placed a glass of whisky in front of me. Without hesitation I gulped the brown liquid back. Allowing it to burn my throat and soothe my hatred.  My eyes found Larsen again the devilish smile on his lips made me realise I'd made a mistake.

Looking down at the now empty glass I felt my vision begin to blur. Stumbling forward I fought hard to resit the burning  sensation that traveled around my body. Falling to my knees, I felt the sweat form on my skin, everything in my line of sight moving as I tried to focus.

His hand placed on my shoulder in a firm grip, causing the pain to intensify. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of hearing me so much as grunt in pain.

"I always knew you'd betray me, i didn't however realise how much of a fool you thought I was did you really think I couldn't sense your change of power?. You see loyalty is nothing to me Beta despite all your pup has done for me, tonight he will loose his life. Then I will take yours. "

Throwing my body to the ground I fought desperately to fight the poison as his figure disappeared , the only thought on my mind.

Jackson.