Chapter Four

Fear works in many different ways; it forces you to comply with the rules you want to rebel against. It stops you from having the ability to speak out when the words are at the tip of your tongue. It makes your body work against you in ways you never realized it could.

It makes your feet take steps that you never wanted to take. Fear works in many ways, but the one common factor is. It never makes sense. Why do we allow fear to take advantage of us? If we didn't then no one would be able to use it against us.

Yet here I am walking through the packs town, feeling like there's the world's biggest spotlight following my every step. I didn't need to look to know that every wolf had stopped what they were doing to watch the runt shamefully walk through. Each set of eyes that landed on me were filled with burning hatred.

Disgust filtered through the air as they set their eyes on my frail body once again. Once upon a time I was used to this. The excruciating stares of the beasts slicing through me and the cruel words that were spat at me.

Apparently being in isolation for all these years stirred up a painful anxiety. Every set of eyes on me made me feel like I was being repeatedly punched in the gut. my stomach trying hard not to wrench. My breath caught in my throat, my lungs forgetting I needed to breathe or how to. My legs shaky as I slowly trudged forward. Small beads of sweat formed against my pale skin.

All I wanted to do was run. Run far away from these creatures yet, my feet still followed the beta as he led me towards the pack house. I had almost forgotten the hostility I felt when I was around these beasts. Safe to say I remember now.

When I lived in the orphanage within the pack, I at least looked half human. Now I am the definition of a walking corps. I could smell the pride the wolves felt towards their alpha, for carting out my punishment with such triumph.

I was nothing but skin and bones. A scared empty shell. Coated in grey pale skin that sat tightly against the bones of my body. Sporting injuries upon injuries, the newest being the sure to be bruising around my neck. Curtesy of Jackson.

Limping on my sore feet the battered holey socks doing little to cushion the Stoney ground beneath them. The dirty rags draped loosely over my broken body, covering most of it. My hair was a tangled matted mess only adding to the successful appearance of an outcast.

I made sure I kept my eyes down. Not wanting to give them that one reason they needed to be granted permission to harm me. My body couldn't take it. I couldn't take it.

I used to pride myself in being strong, at least mentally. Never once allowing their words or hateful looks to become my truth. But slowly I could feel the shame fill my insides. I was practically drowning in my own self-loathing. as the words of my past echoed around me.

I've always feared these beasts, but this was a whole new scale of fear. I now feared their thoughts, their opinions. My own mind had turned on me in this moment. Making myself my number one enemy.

I hadn't realized the beta had stopped at the bottom of the stone steps, that led to the pack house. My small body abruptly fell to the ground as I walked straight into him. Gasp sounded out around us as the wolves began to murmur.

The sting on my now grazed elbows were forgotten as I realized what I'd done. Slowly the beta turned around. I quickly pushed my head down not wanting to see the outrage my own stupidity must have caused. Beta Harris had never actually spoken to me directly before. He also was one of the few wolves that hadnt hurt me in anyway. Always being the quiet bystander.

I was terrified of what kind of punishment I'd brought upon myself. The fact he was always so silent did little to ease the outright fear that petrified my whole soul.

Slowly beta Harris knelt on the ground gently lifting my chin. I kept my eyes on the greying stubble around his lips. Not wanting to cause any more harm than I already had. Tears swelled in my eyes unable to take any more of this unbearable fear.

My eyes opened in surprise when the beta held out his hand in front of me. Gesturing for me to take t I looked between his hand and eyes. Trying to find his truth, his reasoning for helping me. I knew I shouldn't look into his eyes but the soft smile that graced his usual stoic face made me feel some sort of ease.

Sceptically I placed my bony hand in his slowly he raised us both to our feet. Making sure I was completely steady before he released me completely. The silence that surrounded us was broken as the sound of clapping echoed around the mountains.

I didn't need to hear him or see him to know it was alpha. His Steps sounding closer with each move he made towards me and beta Harris. The malicious alpha stopped right next to the beta remaining silent for a few more moments. It was like he was purposely trying to build up the tension.

"I see beta Harris has already begun to demonstrate the behaviour I expect towards the runt for the upcoming days. That beautiful display of kindness towards the fragile human is something we need to do for the shake of our pack, I will be holding a meeting tonight to answer any questions you may have.

I know this is surprising to you all. I also understand if it is difficult for you to show this thing any compassion fake or real, but I must stress that this is an official order. No one is to even look at it wrong. Nightfall I expect you all present this will be your only opportunity to find the answers you may seek. Please continue with the rest of your day and spread the word."

Resting his hand on the betas shoulder he waited until the pack had busied themselves again. I didn't have chance to figure out his game as he spoke loud enough for me and beta Harris to hear.

" Well done beta I will take it from here. Runt this way. Please try to not infest our home."

He was enjoying this far too much his chipper tone gave it away. He was playing with his prey his favourite game to play. I didn't even want to know why I was here.

Once inside the double doors of the pack house I followed alpha always keeping a safe distance away from him. All I could see was the darkened floorboards my feet were walking across. I couldn't exactly take in my surroundings.

Walking up a spiral staircase to the second floor of the house alpha finally stopped his fast pace. Pushing open a door he stood on the outside.

"This will be your room for a while well until the royal wolves have been. Then I can finally be rid of you all together"

Moving closer to me his vindictive tone was hard to miss.

"I hear the royals hate humans more than I do."

Chuckling to himself he grabbed my arm and flung me into the room. Landing onto the carpeted floor he stood tall in the doorway his shadow looming over me.

"don't mistake this for kindness this is where you stay when the royals arrive until then I have a nice spot for you outside.

The dark humour in his voice told me he had thought this through. The conniving alpha was going to put on a show for the royals. But what I couldn't understand was how he was going to pull it off.

He had spent to many years chiselling away at me. Now I'm a mere empty shell how was I going to play the role he wanted me to? I couldn't force myself to act differently. After years of learning how to be as invisible and small as possible.

Today proved the detrimental effect being isolated away has caused. It was impossible for me to hide the emotional scars I couldn't conceal them away. He had to know that.

A/N

Chapter Four updated and edited.