Chapter Seventeen

Beta colby was yet to answer my question as we continued our walk through the forest. I was intrigued to know what he meant by 'burden'. He had seemed a little distressed as he spoke the words. My curiosity just continued to grow.

"we have laws set by our King and our Kings and Queens of the past. For years we've followed certain rules so we could live peacefully with each other and the humans of course. However there are a small bunch of wolves who break those laws and by doing so let's just say, they paint a bad picture for those of us trying to maintain our good name. That is where the burden lies"

The betas word struck a cord in my heart he seemed completely saddened as he spoke. The raw emotion displayed from him made me almost forget what he was. I didn't know it was possible for a wolf to feel such emotions one thing I did know was that the beta continued to surprise me.

"so can we talk about what happened the night you were attacked by rouges?i apologies if it's still a sore subject but u would like to get to the bottom of it."

I felt panic settle in as I thought about how I was going to answer this. I knew the silver beast was no rouge but I felt this absolute need to protect him. Despite him hurting me I didn't want to reveal him to anyone I didn't want to see him harmed for trespassing. I already knew alphas cruel ways all to well.

"i know this much be hard for you to talk about. But any small detail could help. We could maybe start and when it becomes to much take a break? What do you say"

The beta must of seen my inner termoail I didn't want to lie to him,but I couldn't possibly tell him if the silver beast.

"im really sorry beta colby but I honestly don't remember anything"

"well maybe..

Betas words trailed of he stopped dead in his tracks. Light he sniffed the air around us. Subconsciously I began to look around to see if I could find what had gripped the betas attention.

" breya get behind me "

The beta seemed completely on guard as he began to growl securely being the betas huge frame I felt my self beggining to panic I could barley see thanks to the darkened night making me fret that little but more.

Soon I could hear Stepps against the ground. The beta was growling viciously as he awaited the arrival of the oncoming enemy. Soon I could hear another beast  growl, the nagging dull throb in my head made an unwanted appearance. Unsure on what to do i gently peered around the betas body to be met with the silver beast I had tried to conceal from the beta only moments before.

My heart sank as they both growled and snarled towards each other. For some unknown reason I dreaded the though of either of them hurt. The beta went to lung at the silver beast whilst complete terror over come me. I did the only thing I could and the only thing I thought I'd never do. I jumped between the two snarling beast holding my hands out between them.

Silence filter through the only prominent sound was my heavy breaths. I couldn't even begin to understand why I'd acted this way. Both the silver beast and the beta
Watched me with curious stares I could feel there eys burning into me as the antisapated what i was doing.

"I'm sorry, but please please don't hurt each other."

Courage or plain stupidity encouraged me to continue I looked directly at the silver beast with stern but pleading eyes. Trying not to become captured in his alluring gaze.

"beta colby is my... My friend please don't harm him"

Turning my head to the beta who was tilting his head as he stared at me. I again pleaded with my eyes for him to listen.

"please don't hurt him... He is my ermmm I'm not sure but I don't want any harm to come to you both"

I was begging the beast within them both to listen I couldn't even think about them being hurt without feeling sick to my stomach. I couldn't explain the certain need to protect them or how strongly I felt it.

The soft chuckle of the beta confused me to no end as I looked at him, I could swear admiration was swirling in his deep blue eyes.

"I'm sorry for misleading you as is my friend over there but we had to be sure we could trust you"

My mouth dropped to the ground as his words registered in my mind. They knew each other they were tricking me. I couldn't help the hurt I felt, I felt alomsit betrayed and foolish for nearly trusting them both. Anger bubbled through me as my my mind was taken over by complete emotion.

"why? Why would you do that?."

Tears began to swell in my eyes as the beta began to speak.

"our intention wasn't to upset you breya. Please understand that we had to be certain we could trust you before you could know of our friendship. There is much bugger things happening here but we need your help"

I don't know what came over me or where this came from but I felt like I was bursting. Bursting from the pain I'd suffered bursting through the constant lies and torment of these creatures. Right now I couldn't view them any differently they were all the same. Deceitful and cruel.

"you want me to help you?"

The beta gently smiled at me as he answered with a confirming 'yes'.
I snapped I couldn't hold onto my restraint any longer.

"no matter what you do to me I will not help you, your both just like the rest of the wolves I know. You wanted to be certain you could trust me when in reality it is me who can not trust you. I don't know how you creatures can be so cruel to someone and betray someone the way you do! I'm tired I'm tired of it all I jsut want to be left alone...i can't take anymore of the torment your kind constantly put me through..

As breathless tears streamed down my face I spoke my truth into the night. My heart couldn't take it any more inside it felt like I was crumbling. Closing my eyes I breathed the night eye into my lungs before releasing my breath.

Opening my tearful eyes and began to walk away from the silver beast and beta. The silver beast was in front of me in the blink of an eye. Softly he growled towards me. Defeated and completely exhausted from this life the beta gently spoke from behind me.

"please breya don't go just listen to what we have to say then you are free to make your choice."

Tuning towards the beta with my back turned towards the wolf my shaky broken voice spoke.

"thats just it though Isn't it I don't have a choice to begin with. Because I'm human and no match for you my thoughts, choices and opinions don't matter. I don't care if you kill me or hurt me...

" I'm done you beast's have won"