Chapter Thirteen

The sound of my teeth chattering together blocked out the cries of the pups. My body trembling from the cold as warm fresh tears gently slid down my cheek.

Nine years old alone cold and scared. Fear seemed to consume me each time I heard a loud noise. Lock in the darkness of my small room I pondered on the fa r that alpha hated me. It was all I could think about as I attempted to keep warm.

Alpha had always been cruel towards me but he never went as far as he did today. My first time of feeling real physical pain and being in the cemented room. I'd broken the rules I looked into his eyes as I accidentally wet myself.

He was angry with me for being late back from school. His voice had always scared me but I'd never been more afraid than I was in that moment. He all but dragged me down to the basement before inflicting his evil upon my body.

I had to have my first stitches that day and it took everything in my small body not to cry. The sound of keys jingling outside my door made me flinch in fear. I thought for a moment I'd imagined it. Maybe my childish fear of the dark was playing with my imagination.

But to my surprise my small room flooded with light installing fear in every inch of my aching body.

"why you crying for"

The soft voice of a boy asked,unsure I gentlyifted the covers from over my head as slowly blinked away the uncomfortable sting from the light.

"who are you"

Were the words that left my treming lips. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone and I knew I'd be sure to anger alpha if he knew I'd spoken to one of the pups.

"why are you crying?"

The boy repeatedly asked. If never spoken to another child before so I was unsure if the same rules applied. My fear seemed to take over as I spoke next.

"you need to go away, your going to get me in trouble"

"nah no one's awake just me thanks to your chattering teeth"

The boy came and sat next to me on my lumpy matress,i was unsure but oddly felt as ease with him next to me actually I found it nice to talk.

"sorry"

"it's alright couldn't sleep anyway"

I ponder on my next question for a while but figured I'd ask anyway.

"do you get sad to? Like the other pups?"

"you hear them to?"

His surprise took me of guard I was confused for a moment before he shed light onto why he was surprised.

"it's just that... Your the  human right?"

Anger seemed to bubbled in me for the first time insulted beaten and alone in the world my childish self couldn't help but snap.

"just go"

I all but whisper shouted at the boy, his ice blue eyes seemed sad by my snaloy attitude.

"sorry I didn't mean to upset you."

I quickly felt guilty for my actions but was to proud to stand down. I was humiliated every day of my life but this was the first time I'd actually stood up for my self.

"il be back in a minute"

The boy sprung to his feet and dashed out of the open door of my room. A few moments later he appeared in my door way holding a pile of blankets.

"it's pretty cold in here maybe this will help those teeth of yours"

He had a goofy smile spread across his face which in turn made my own smile spread my chapped lips. Kindness was something I'd never experienced before but I can't deny that it felt nice.

"thanks..

I tailed of when I realised I didn't know his name.

" names Jackson Austin and you? "

Id never been asked thst question before it was always just runt blinking back my surprise I quickly answered him.

" breya"

I'd made my first friend that night when he left he promised to visit when he could. For weeks he came to my room when the cries of the pups would settle and we would talk. He became angered when he realised alpha was hurting me.

He helped me tend to my wonds cleaning them and giving me ice packs. One night he figured out that I'd never tried anything other than porridge. He then began to bring me his snacks so I could try the delicious treats. I found myself looking forward to the night time.

I didn't struggle so much with the cold anymore the blankets he gave me proved very useful during the cold nights. The empty Ness In my heart was slowly being filled with my friendship with Jackson.

I learnt that he was the son of the beta in his old pack, the moonscrest pack. His family was sadly murdered in an attack on their pack. He was sad by their loss but had a drive like no other to make them proud. He was sent to the mountain Ash pack to keep him safe whilst his pack rebuilt itself.

The day he found out he was being adopted was the time Id seen him cry. That night he cried on my shoulder he didn't want a new family he already had one. Although they were gone he couldn't bare to replace them.

He hadn't made friends with any of the pups except for me, he promised that night we should always try to be there for each other. He knew my position in the pack and the way j was treated he had witnessed it for weeks. Pulling out a blue ribbon from his pants pocket he said.

"wear this and you will rember your not alone".

He hated that I was going to be left alone with no one whilst he got his second chance. I had to help ease his worry and mis placed guilt.

"don't worry Jackson I won't be alone"

I smiled and pointed to the ribbon tied around my wrist. Gently he smiled back. I didn't realise that it would be the last time I'd see him and the last time I'd know him as my friend.

As the days past the loniness quickly settled back in, a week later and my door was yanked open. Hope bubbled inside of me at the thought of Jackson being on the other side of the door.

I was surprised to see it was Jackson and alpha. His next words crushed me as I sat surprised and betrayed.

"are alpha she stole the blankets"

Looking at Jackson for answers to my unspoken questions he looked tight through me.

"good lad Jackson you will make a fine beta one day"

Ripping the blankets away the alpha look over his shoulder as he restreadted.

"I will deal with you later"

His spoken promise held more meaning than I knew. Softly I aked Jackson.

"why"

It was then I seen the bruises sporting his left eye. Concern filled my entire being despite being betrayed by him he was my friend. In the most evil tone he could muster he spat.

"you shouldn't of lied to me"

And with that he was gone tears streamed down my face as my body racked in sobs. Holding the blue ribbon in my hand I clenched it between my boney fingers.

I wanted to keep the ribbon to remind me to never trust another beast the way I had so naively trusted him.

I didn't know then that he was going to play the biggest part in my torture.

I didn't know I would fear the only friend I'd ever known as much as I did alpha.

But what I did know was I was never going to forget the betrayal.

I would always remember.