Chapter Sixteen

My eyes snapped open as the handle to the room rattled. Holding my breath unintentionally as if it would make a difference. Dread filter through me as one thought consumed my mind.

Alpha. I knew in my mind I would be undoubtedly punished for the stunt I'd pulled in his office. Not that I ever was but I wasn't ready for it yet. My body mind and soul couldn't take it.

The sound of the door scuffing against the carpet made my stomach drop into nothingness. Squeezing my eyes  shut praying for a miracle the room fell silent. My mind had began to question if it was figment of my imagination. Slowly my eyes opened to the figure of a man leaning over me.

Normally I'd be still normally I'd accept what ever torture they'd bestow upon me. Instead I all but screamed as I scrambled away from the figure.

The figure leaped towards my shaking frame grabbing on to my arm as a hand covered my mouth. Breathing heavily against the warm hand I blinked back trying to figure out who it was. Alpha - Jackson?.

"shh breya it's me"

It took me a moment to register the whispering vocie of the beta. Gently he removed his hand as he shuffled back abit to give me space. Slowly I sat up right against the wall still facing the beta  attempting to regain my composer as my heart began to settle a little.

For a moment relief flooded me knowing it wasn't alpha or Jackson. But soon I began to worry again wondering what the beta wanted. I couldn't seem to control my anxiety anymore it was always there nagging at me in any way it could.

"I'm sorry I scared you, it wasn't my intention"

Again the betas voice was barley a whisper as he spoke abit sheepishly.
He quickly cleared his throat before talking again.

"I know this may be abit strange and a little inappropriate but I need you to come with me please"

I knew I didn't really have a choice but I so desperately wanted to ask where he was going to take me. I couldn't see him very well in the dark room but I knew he could see me so I gently nodded my head in reluctant agreement.

"I need you to stay close to me and keep quiet can you do that?"

Quickly I peaced together why he was whispering clearly he didn't want anyone to know he was with me. His voice still quiet but I could hear abit of concern laced within his words.

"ok"

Was my response as I made my way of the bed. I didn't have to wait long as the beta began to move towards the door. With great ease the beta navagated us through the dark sleeping pack house. With every passing moment anxiety grew within me.

What if alpha woke up?

Or realised i was gone?

What did the beta want?

Where were we going?

Before long we had reached the back door of the pack house, gentle we made our way out successfully not drawing any attention to ourselves. The beta began to lead us into the forest now side by side every our arms gently brush together with each step we took . We walked for a few more moments in silence as the bitter cold of the night nipped against my cold cheeks. The cotten pajamas I'd been given helping my body deal with the cold.

"I know you have no reason to trust me, but I'm not here to cause you any harm, I may not be able to sense you in any way but I can tell you have questions, feel free to  ask them."

Doubt quickly filled my mind although he'd given me permission I wasn't yet convinced he meant me know harm.

The bata let out a heavy sigh as I remained quiet, still we remained walking through the forest. My eyes stayed firmly on my naked feet as j felt the cold earth beanth them.

"how about this, I ask you a question, then you can ask me one? It might make things a little less.... Tense?"

I mentally sighed in defeat as the beta went on to ask his first question, leaving little room for me to object.

"how did you end up living with this pack?"

Good question I mentally answered, if only I knew! I didn't miss the wording he used. He didn't say wolves his said 'this pack' he clearly had some issues with the wolves here. I thought for a moment in what to say I'd never been put in a position like this before but I couldn't exactly ignore him.

"I don't know"

Was my short reply I wasn't about to tell him all my secrets but I also didn't want to lie. The truth was simply I didn't know it wasnt lieing leaving out the details as to why I didn't.

"interesting, ok hit me?"

I found my lip between my teeth as I nervously gwaned on it. I had been presented with yet another once in a life time opportunity i couldn't afford to pass this up.

"what did you mean when you said you couldn't sense me?"

I anxiously awaited the betas response I didn't have to wait long but the few  seconds of silence between us felt like hours.

"I'm not sure myself if I'm honest, everything has a scent. Every person wolf or human have individual scents, but you don't have one it's as if your not standing next to me. I can't feel your presence. As a wolf I can sense almost everything around me without hearing seeing or smelling. Yet I can't sense you, the only thing I can do is hear, see and touch you...

He paused for moment as if he was trying to solve the riddle to my lack of scent.

"I don't know how it's possible, but I have every intention of finding out."

His declaration made me slightly nervous but curious at the same time. I can't pretend to know what it's like to have the senses and abilities wolves posess but I have to admit even I was a little struck by the  revaluation.

"forgive me if I'm being forward here but what has you so jumpy? Every time I've been in your presence your quiet, almost withdrawn and you never look me in the eye"

He seemed to go off into his own curious mind as he rambled of my signs of fear and discomfort. It surprised me that he sounded offended by my lack of eye contact.

"im a quiet person, I don't look any wolf in the eye I'm lessor than them and it's disrespectful I thought all wolves seen that as a threat?"

The beta stopped in his tracks as my words filtered through the air. The small growl that left him made my body shiver with fear. I didn't mean to anger him I tried to think of how I could of upset him my mind raced Iver the last few seconds. My eyes wide as I faced the beta who seemingly was becoming more angry.

"listen to me breya no wolf is above anyone,including you, whoever made you believe that you couldn't look at someone because your lessor are wrong"

His wolfs presence did nothing to curve my impending anxiety but the passion behind his words couldnt be faulted. He meant them and somehow that calmed me. The sound of the betas intakes of breaths eased me somehow to. He was attempting to calm down.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you, I don't like it when wolves misuse or mistreat our laws it's a discrase and a burden."

Beginning to walk again I waited for a moment before I spoke, I don't understand why I felt confident enough to just speak but I did.

" what do you mean by burden? "