Why?

Unedited 1900

Milkah

"Your Majesty ,I was walking towards the court root, I can accompany you if you like" concubine Zinhle suggested coyly.

Pushover much?

I know competition is inevitable around women, especially when they have to share a man but even I can see that the Queen was going to accompany the King since it looks like he spent the night in her quarters.

"I will take my leave then." I say so I can leave them in peace.

I turn and continue to walk towards the royal grandmothers quarter.  I then enter, it looks different from the last time I was here.

Was all that extravagance from the lunch for show?

"Are you going to continue standing there and staring at my quarters?" A strong elderly voice asked.

"Royal grandmother, good morning" I respectfully greeted and walked towards where she is.

She is sitting on the other side of here round writing something.

"You have come so early this morning to see me?...must be important." She voiced her thoughts while still writing whatever she is writing.

I don't know if I should speak, I don't want to disturb her but I have to get her permission.

I can hear the morning rooster kadudle . As I organise my thoughts properly.

"Royal grandmother I know that you haven't known me for a long time, compared to the other concubines. However I know that we still have time ahead of us to rectify that." I stop and show my charming smile which is for nothing as the woman is still focused on what she is writing.

"To get straight to the point royal grandmother is that I would like to visit my family for a few hours today and then I'll return. I miss them dearly and I know they must be worried sick about me."

The lies I'm spinning  deserve an accolade. However they are white lies as there is some genuine truth to it as there might be some people really interested in my well being.

"Grandmother?" Dead silence. The woman is not responding, but I know she does not have a hearing problem. Which makes me think what is making her keep her silence or ignore me?

"I was younger than you when I was betrothed to the late King, my husband. It was really scary as I also had to leave my family and move into the palace" She stops writing then stands and moves towards the flowers that are decorated by the entrance gate to her quarters.

"But, I understood that I was not an ordinary woman married to an ordinary man, in fact I was the total opposite. I knew that I had to set an example for all young woman and girls." She turned her focus from flowers to directly looking at me."

" What  I'm trying to say is that palace rules are not only meant to be followed but to guide you around the palace to not make mistakes. I know the lead maidservant or your personal maidservant has told you this. The one month rule apply to everyone. It's a tradition that will not be broken by anyone."

You could have just said no, instead of the whole speech.

"I hope you understand what I'm saying concubine Melokuhle?" She asked turning are gaze to the flowers once more.

I looked towards her and nodded.

I'm a bit disappointed that I have to wait a month but I don't have a choice. The security in the Zulu Palace is not to be trifled with.

"Good. Don't worry dear, a month will pass by like it never even happened. Just focus your attention on something else...perhaps your lessons?" 

"Lessons?...Ah yes lessons of course! I will come and visit again royal grandmother" I said as a means of indicating that I'm about to leave.

I mean what else can I say so that i can be dismissed, royal grandmother must know all what happens within the palace hence me lying about going somewhere to do do something will put me in a predicament, and i have had enough of those to last me a lifetime.

"That would be lovely. I enjoy the company of the youth. It's refreshing hearing your generation speak" she said still writing guides however had a small mischievous smile on her face.

"Of course" You should have rejected my offer! Dammit now i have to really come and visit her.

Me and my stupid mouth!

I bow then leave.

Please like, share and comment <3