Instincts

Unedited 1900

Milkah

I follow the voice with my eyes and I see who it came from. She was the guest of honour.

Although her words where harsh, her eyes held kindness. I felt safe looking at her, she reminded me of my mother.

I didn't realise I was staring until my vision became blurry due to the tears collecting.

I quickly looked down so that no one can notice that I was being emotional. They would probably pick at me even more.

"Are you?" She asked again

I nodded and replied yes. There was a moment of silence before she asked  me another question.

"What is your reason for your gift?" She asked again

I couldn't tell her that I didn't even have a gift for her, let alone had  knowledge that it was her birthday.

I cannot answer with a lie either because that will be detected aswell however a white lie is better.

"I didn't know what royal grandmother would like so I thought of giving her flowers. Although they are not extravagant, they represent my interpretation of royal grandmother." I said

I deserve an accolade for that small speech.

"Mmh okey, I accept your gift." She said.

Yesh! Not even a thank you, these people are full of themselves.

I bowed further and stood up. My legs where shakey but they could carry me back to my seat.

I lifted my head as it felt like my face was on fire due to the daggers someone was throwing at me.

I turned towards my left to see my tormentor that has had me on edge the whole whole time.

It was non-other then the King! The man was starring at me like he knew all my secrets.

I faltered in my step as his brows furrowed the more he looked at me. The man was beautiful but he oozed  danger the same time.

Thank God for Zodwa as she caught me before I made a fool out of myself.

I don't even remember how I got to my seat but I found myself already sitting there.

I couldn't shake the feeling that what I was planning to do was going to fail and I would be punished. However I couldn't risk it any longer what if the more I stay in this world the more my chances of returning decrease?

No, I had to go today. No matter what.

The birthday  celebration finished on a high note as the Queen was praised for her closing act of singing and dancing.

The King looked to enjoy her performance too as there was a trace of a smile to his face. Well now I know who he loves.

Either way it's fine, I have bigger fish to fry today.

We walked out of the hall after the celebration in  a jouous harmony.

When everyone was outside I told Zodwa I wanted to explore the palace. She agreed thus we began the walk around the Zulu Palace.

***

"This is the Kings quarters , no one is allowed to enter without permission only  a few are the exception...oh Ms Melokuhle I can't wait for you to also share the graces of the King" she said excitedly

The hell is wrong with this girl, the man hates me. Although that hurts my feelings for some reason, I don't have time nor right to feel how I feel. I am not Melokuhle.

"Yes yes I also can't wait" I reply in a bored tone.

We continue to walk until I find a similar path I took when I came into the palace.

"Zodwa, I still want to explore the palace but I feel cold. Would you be a darling and fetch something for me to wear as to keep warm?" I asked her

She looked at me for a moment but decided to nod and go.

As soon as she turned the corner, I waited a bit  before I started walking through the path I took yesterday while coming inside the palace.

The whole time I am navigating through the palace maze walls I'm stating to sweat. My heart is beating faster the more the walls look unfamiliar.

I take a turn again but stop as as I come face to face with the King, I don't know if I should run or cry.

Please like, share and comment😄😄😃