39 | everything beyond the stars

Jeongguk isn't sure what happened after Taehyung placed him in his bedroom and dealt with the police and Haneul, even as he tries to listen to the voices in his living room after the cops arrived to the scene in his apartment

They question him, he answers. They question Taehyung, he answers. They question Haneul, he refuses. And the next thing Jeongguk knows is they're putting Haneul in handcuffs and sending him out the door as he's yelling profanities and threats down the hallway.

And Jeongguk flinches at every threat directed towards him and Taehyung, every word is like a knife to the chest, and he feels himself slowly crumble at each profanity. Taehyung, however, is there to hold him close, arms circling around the boy and peppering light kisses to his cheeks, nose, corner of his mouth, jaw and neck.

Jeongguk wants to smile. He feels his lips itch to curl, but tonight's images run through his head on loop like a broken record, and he stops himself before he can fully let himself break out into a grin.

Tonight isn't going in the book of 'best night ever' as Jeongguk allows himself to be pampered by the other boy, who attempts to soothe his worries and rigid muscles with a hand drawing imaginary circles over his back. It isn't enough to relax every muscle or erase every bad memory of tonight, but it's enough to soothe him and remind him he isn't alone anymore.

"C'mon," Taehyung whispers into his hair, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of his head. "Let's get you to bed."

Bed. Jeongguk doesn't like the sound of that. Being alone, in a dark room, knowing what played out in his living room moments ago—he can feel his chest tighten, like an elastic band around his ribs and making it harder to breathe.

But he allows Taehyung to lead him to his bedroom, allows him to touch him, allows him to whisper into his ear—he lets him do whatever he desires as he drags his feet down the hallway with Taehyung's hands on his shoulders, guiding him like he's blind.

He doesn't fight back, doesn't let anymore tears roll down his cheeks, and he doesn't allow himself to fight against Taehyung. He lets it all happen, whether if he's dreading sleep or not. He knows nothing will come from tonight, so he doesn't hold his breath on anything.

Taehyung leads him into his bedroom and flips on the light, welcoming the pair in a warm glow. Jeongguk keeps his arms circled around himself, keeps his steps small and breathing shollow, eyes averted to the ground as he's gently sat on the bed. Taehyung's palms linger on his shoulders for a bit longer as he kneels, letting them slide down the boy's arms until he's resting them on his knees.

"I'll get you a glass of water," Taehyung whispers, pressing a chaste kiss to the boy's forehead as he stands, but Jeongguk keeps him still by grabbing his hands and shaking his head. "What is it, baby?"

Taehyung sits beside him on the foot of the bed, eyes glued to Jeongguk, head dipped and fingers grasping onto the brunette's hand in a deathly grip. Jeongguk doesn't realize how hard his hold is on him until Taehyung's patting his hand and loosening the fingers coiled around him.