04 | i have muscles the size of mount everest

physically cannot read this anymore and edit it.
so yall are getting the raw rough draft version. it's all cringe im sorry

"You're home awfully late

"You're home awfully late." Jeongguk gasps, hand pressed against his chest over his heart as he spins on his heel, falling against the front door, his eyes flitting over his best friend who sits at the table in their kitchen, a smirk shaping his naturally full lips.

"Gosh, you sound like my mother everyday during my senior year." Jeongguk shakes his head as he throws his keys into the bowl by the door, heart palpitating in his throat. "Why the hell are you up so late, anyway?"

"Your parents dropped by again," Sam informs him as he drums his fingers over their kitchen table, humming softly as he tries to keep his eyes open, exhaustion weighing him down.

Jeongguk's body tenses as he reaches for the fridge door. "Um . . . what'd they want?" he asks, closing the door after he grabs a water bottle from the bottom shelf, adam's apple bobbing nervously in the hallow of his throat.

He already knows what they want. They want to see him; their only son who has cut ties with all sides of his family. He doesn't remember the last time he's properly spoken to them. Everything's a blur now since he's moved out of his ex's house and in with Sam, and that was only three years ago.

He's finally come to a part of his life where he wasn't always thinking about his past; about his monstrous ex and unsupportive parents that always sided with the devil instead of him, because they were convinced Jeongguk wasn't going anywhere with his life if he didn't settle down and marry someone successful.

"I sound like a broken record," Sam comments as he sips on his cup of coffee, the caffeine ineffective by the way his lids droop and his shoulders sag as his body jerks itself awake every time the boy nods off.

"It's always the same reason every time they come over; they want to see you."

Jeongguk swallows thickly, a knot of anxiety wrapping around his throat. "How'd it go?" he asks as he leans his hip against the counter, bottle in his hands and eyes flitting over his roommate.

He can only assume how it went; they screamed, yelled and possibly even threatened Sam to tell them everything he knew about Jeongguk's whereabouts. But Jeongguk knows Sam's strong enough to take care of himself as he calmly talks to them and persuades them to leave before the police get involved.

So far, they haven't had to call the authorities, but Jeongguk knows how extreme his parents can be at times, especially if they weren't getting their way. Because they were always getting what they want, and what they want is Jeongguk.

But Jeongguk doesn't want them. He doesn't want them in his life to constantly remind him he's a failure and how he had done nothing but disappointed them during his entire existence. All they've done is told him how he's messed his life up by breaking up with his ex and leaving the way he did.

He can imagine the neighbors being disturbed like they are almost every other night when his parents show up at his front doorstep, banging on the door like they were the police and demanding to see their son, claiming they wouldn't leave until they did. Luckily, each time, he's been working during the late hours at the nightclub only a couple of blocks away from their small apartment complex.

"How do you think it went?" Sam cranes his neck to properly look at the younger who has seated himself on the countertop now. "There was screaming, hysterical crying, mood swings, threats and your mom even took a swing at me."

"Oh, god." Jeongguk's eyes bulge out of their sockets, jaw dropping to the floor as he sets his bottle down by his thigh. "She didn't get you, did she?"

"Gguk, look at me." Sam stands from his chair as he gestures to himself. "Does it look like I'm someone who would let their ass get kicked by some deranged old woman?"

A giggle slips passed Jeongguk's lips, nose scrunching and eyes small crescent moons. "You're right. M'sorry, hyung. I should've known better than to question your ability to protect oneself," he says, bowing at the older.

"Exactly. I have muscles the size of Mount Everest." Sam flexes his biceps as the boy giggles at his hyung, covering his mouth with the back of his hand. "Seriously though, I can handle myself. Don't worry about me."

He strides over, ruffling the boy's hair before walking away and into the front room connected to their kitchen. Jeongguk jumps from the counter, following the other as he watches Sam plop himself on the couch and flips on the TV mounted on the wall, a contentious, tired sigh slipping past his lips.

"M'sorry 'bout her." He scratches the skin behind his ear, swallowing nervously as he carefully watches Sam's reaction as the older simply furrows his brows in response. "I know how she can be—my dad, too. I jus' . . . I can't handle talking to them right now."

"Gguk, you don't have to explain yourself." Sam sits up, shaking his head as he glances at the boy, abandoning the remote as he tosses it on the couch somewhere beside him. "I get it. My parents kinda suck, too. I'm no stranger to hysterically crying women at my door, anyway."

Jeongguk snorts, arms crossing over his chest as he incredulously shakes his head at his roommate. "Believe me, she's just bat-shit crazy." He jabs a thumb over his shoulder towards the door.

Sam only smiles, a soft chuckle tumbling from his mouth. "Regardless, it's all good. Talk to them whenever you're ready. There's no rush," he assures the boy, and Jeongguk smiles appreciatively at the older as he nods.

"Thanks. You're the best," Jeongguk tells him, his cheeks hurting from how hard he's smiling. Sam playfully scoffs, proudly nodding his head as he lays back down on the couch.

"You don't call me your best friend for no reason, y'know?" he retorts as he picks up the remote and continues where he left off. "We're in this together. Through thick and thin. Through sickness and in health. 'Til death do us part."

Jeongguk throws his head back as a laugh rumbles in his chest. "Gosh, you're absolutely ridiculous, hyung," he retaliates, the genuine happiness feeling amazing in his chest and he's completely forgotten about his parents, his mom taking a swing at his roommate, the guy from last night, and even Taehyung's touch lingering on the small of his back.

He forgets it all because Sam has him forgetting about all his worries and stress. He doesn't think about his parents for the rest of the night, nor does he think about work or that nasty guy who held him, or Taehyung and his pretty doe-brown eyes and his pretty lips or that stupid green bandana.

For once, he feels at ease; relaxed as he sits on the couch with Sam. They watch a movie as Jeongguk cuddles into his side, laughing so hard until their stomachs hurt and smiling until their cheeks ache. He doesn't know what he would do without his best friend and partner in crime.

I owe you so much because you saved my life when I thought I was going to die.