28 | maybe temporarily but never permanently

He's been staring at the ceiling for only god knows how long

He's been staring at the ceiling for only god knows how long. The living room is pitch-black, the silence is buzzing, and he can hear Taehyung's TV from his bedroom, along with the sound of a door opening and closing, which he can only assume is the bathroom.

The couch isn't the most comfortable piece of furniture he's slept on, but he'll take what he can get since Taehyung hid his keys from him somewhere in his bedroom, and frankly, he doesn't have the balls to get up and go search for them.

He's been glancing at the time on his phone nonstop, watching the hours tick by painfully slow. The sun is still hidden and the stars linger in the sky as it nears four in the morning. He hasn't gotten any sleep since he's been there as he listens to all the noises lingering from Taehyung's room.

He tries to lull himself to sleep by counting sheep, taking deep breaths, counting—literally anything that could help him, but nothing suffices—nothing works. So, he's opted for staring at the ceiling or scrolling through his social media apps for the time being until drowsiness consumes him.

He's positive he won't be getting any sleep tonight, but he hopes to successfully attempt at a nap when he gets home before his shift at the club later that night. He knows Sam and Taehyung will only worry about him for not getting enough sleep before work, so the least he can do is try to do something.

He tosses and turns on the couch, the thin blanket lighting his body on fire as he kicks it off at his feet. He changes his mind; this couch sucks.

His phone buzzes beside his head as he reaches for it and sees Sam's contact flicker across his skin. Blinking, he unlocks his phone and taps on his icon, skimming over the message before typing a vague reply that didn't need to be thought-out.

He hopes it's a good enough reply as he locks his phone and sets it by his head, until it vibrates again and lights up the entire living room as Sam's contact is the only thing covering the screen. He's calling, at four in the morning.

"What the hell are you doing up so early?" Jeongguk hisses in a hushed voice as he sits up on the couch. He glances over to make sure Taehyung can't hear him as he quietly talks to Sam.

"Huh, how weird," Sam tsks as the skin between Jeongguk's brows wrinkles. "I was gonna ask the same question."

"You're ridiculous," the boy shakes his head with a light scoff as he hears Sam chuckle from the other end. "Don't you have an early meeting in the morning?"

"Yeah," the older hums. "Don't you have a strong, half-naked man to be attending to?"

The skin on his cheeks burns like a fire too close as he covers his face with his palm. "He's not half-naked," he snaps quietly. "He's fully clothed."

"Mhm, I'm sure he is now," Sam teases with a snicker as Jeongguk clenches his jaw. "But a few hours ago, I bet he was shirtless, covered in blood and sweat, and completely at your mercy."