35 | you're not a teenager anymore

The apartment fills with cheerful laughter as the pair dine in to what Taehyung had prepared for the night, and Jeongguk's grateful they didn't go out to a fancy restaurant and settled with a home-cooked meal, because those were always better than...

The apartment fills with cheerful laughter as the pair dine in to what Taehyung had prepared for the night, and Jeongguk's grateful they didn't go out to a fancy restaurant and settled with a home-cooked meal, because those were always better than overpriced foods.

The conversations between them remain light as they relish in the quiet, peaceful atmosphere. Jeongguk glanced over every now and then, chopsticks in one hand, knee in the other. He enjoys the quiet, usually, but tonight's different and he finds himself wandering off into uncharted territory, or already-explored places that he shouldn't be revisiting.

However, Jeongguk always found first dates awkward, with the quiet, unsettling pauses as you try to figure out a way to keep the conversation flowing, only to fail and let it die out completely. But with Taehyung, typically, it's quite the opposite. Their conversations flow like a river; smooth and ongoing.

So, it's not groundbreaking when Jeongguk finds himself interested to know more about the bouncer. He knows the basic things, like his favorite color, his life story, and bits and pieces of his family. He had a sister who he loved and cared for deeply, so that's a subject he wouldn't bring up, especially now of all times and places.

"I've got to ask," Jeongguk says, swallowing thickly as he glances over at the brunette. Taehyung looks at him, brows furrowed and head tilted. "What made you decide to open a nightclub?"

Taehyung chuckles, wiping his lips with a napkin before leaning back in his chair. The smile on his face practically says it all, and it shows his true passion for his business. "I needed something after I got out of prison," he simply states with a shrug, but Jeongguk wants to know more.

He rests his chin in the cusp of his palm, intently listening as Taehyung takes the hint to continue. "There wasn't much I could do considering . . . y'know," he clears his throat, averting his gaze to his plate. "I picked up a phone and called an old buddy of mine and he hooked me up."

"That easy, huh?" Jeongguk snickers, the edges of his lips curling into a smirk. Taehyung shakes his head, snorting lightly.

"No, it's not that simple," he shakes his head, smiling. "All I know is I needed to do something with my life—something that I know would make my mom and Sena proud."

"Tae," Jeongguk coos, resting his hand on the other's arm. "No matter what you chose to do, they would've been proud of you regardless of the path you took."

Taehyung bashfully smiles, head dipping as Jeongguk caressing his arm through his hoodie sleeve. "Have I told you you're amazing?" he asks rhetorically, eyes peering into the boy's.

"Not today, no," the younger shakes his head, lips pursed as he bites back a smile that threatens to paste onto his lips. Taehyung pushes his plate back and turns in his seat, facing the boy as he grabs both of his hands.

"You're amazing," he whispers delicately into the air, letting the words hang between them for a little bit before he leans down and kisses the back of Jeongguk's hands.