➸ CHP 39

"What happened?", Doyoung ran up to me from their van and stared at the building, which was completely up in flames.

     "Its Jaehyun-", I cried, "I let him stay in there alone..."

     Mark walked up next to me and gave me a hug, "Look, that's what he told us to do....", he said. He tried to sound strong, but I could tell he was hurting much as much as I was.

     "Jaehyun's in there?", Doyoung asked with his eyes completely fixed on Mark and I.

      "Yeah...", I wiped the tears from my eyes with my jacket sleeve.

     Doyoung ran his hands through his hair and looked back at the building. He didn't look like he understood what was happening; but then again, none of us did that night.

     Everything was quiet, except for the crackling sound the fire made, and a few of my sniffles.

     Taeyong's van pulled into the parking lot.

     "Alright, guys!", Taeyong yelled as he hopped out of the van, "You've got five minutes to get ready and head inside"

     Doyoung and Mark jogged over to Taeyong's van to get the fire-proof vests the others brought.

     I stood there, alone, staring at the building. The flames just got higher, and it didn't look like the fire was "dying down" at all.

     I glanced behind me at the others, who were throwing all their gear on.

     No one was looking.

     Something in me just couldn't wait anymore; it killed me every time I thought of what was happening to Jaehyun in there.

     I started running towards the building.

     "Hyuna!", Mark shouted, "What the hell are you doing?"

     "I'll see you guys inside!", I yelled back.

     I slammed my body into the charred door, and found myself standing in the middle of a place which literally looked like hell on earth. It definitely looked worse on the inside.

     And Jaehyun was somewhere in the middle of it.

     I tired to calm myself down and figure out where I was.

     I found the stairwell, which I started running on. The last time I saw Jaehyun, we were on the third floor. I knew that when everyone else came inside, Mark would lead some of the others to the third floor, too.

     The ignolsium was working. When I got to the third floor, I didn't feel any effect from the fire, but I was out of breath.

     "Jae?!", I shouted, as I walked down the fiery hall, peeking in the rooms.

     "You'll have to deal with me before you get to Jaehyun", someone grabbed my neck and placed a gun on my temple.

     I froze, and stared in front of me. I didn't know what to do.

     "Who is it?", I asked slowly.

     "Its Mr. Jung"

     "Mr. Jung? You're Jae's dad...", my heart pounded.

     "That's right", he spoke through his clenched teeth, "And none of this wouldn't have happened if you didn't mess with my son"

      "How are you even alive right now?"

     "Because you proved the ignolsium worked", he said, "So I helped myself"

     "Look, Mr. Jung", my voice was a little unstable, "I wouldn't do this...we have a lot of people coming in here for Jaehyun"

     There was an explosion.

     "That should be them, now", I said.

     "Well, I guess we'll just have to end you faster than I thought", Mr. Jung tightened his grip on his handgun, "It was nice meeting you"

      "You can forget it!", someone yelled.

     Mr. Jung and I both flashed our heads behind us.

     "Jaehyun?", I looked at my friend. He looked so beat up; there were cuts all over his face, there were ashed all over his clothes, and the fire had burnt holes in his jeans.

     "I thought I got rid of you", Mr. Jung pointed his gun at Jaehyun.

      Jaehyun walked closer to his father, even though there was a gun being pointed at his chest.

     "Dad, what the hell are you doing?", he asked. He put his hand on Mr. Jung's gun, and lowered it so that it pointed at the floor.

      "I'm doing the work that you were supposed to do years ago", Jaehyun's dad glared.

     Jaehyun nodded slowly. His face was completely serious.

     "Well, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to cut your work short", Jae said.

     In a split second, he drove his fist into his father's cheek. It all happened so fast, Mr. Jung wouldn't have had the time to shoot Jaehyun.

     I stared at Mr. Jung's lifeless body on the floor...and then I stared at Jaehyun.

     "You--", I stammered, "I thought...I thought you died"

     "I'm fine", he whispered. He smiled and placed his lips on mine.

     I played with his distorted hair with one hand, and I placed my other hand on top of his as he kissed me.

     Sure, he and I were basically standing in the middle of a war-zone. The whole place was on fire, there were explosions two floors down, but I smiled anyway. I was so happy to see him again.