➸ CHP 27

"Jae, you're the one who shouldn't be here right now", I turned around and stared at him. It was a little hard to see his face since the room was so dark, but every time a neon light ran over us, I was able to see the boldness in his eyes.

     He bit his lip, "And you left because?"

     "Because I got you guys in trouble..."

     He shot me a look.

     "I was scared, ok?!", I tightened my grip on my drink.

     "I'm not blaming you for anything", he said.

      Our eyes met. I studied his face for a few seconds, but I got shy and looked back down.

      "Well what do you want, then?", I asked.

      "I want you to make a decision"

      "A decision like what?"

     "Are you coming back or not"

     I paused. "No", I said slowly, "I can't"

     Jaehyun just looked at me. 

     "I'm sorry", I continued, "I can't put you guys in trouble"

      We stood there without saying anything.

     Jaehyun leaned forward.

     He kissed me. A soft, gentle kiss.

     "Alright then", he pulled away from me, "Happy trails..."  

     In a split second, he turned around. I watched him disappear in the crowd of people with his hands in his pockets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "You think you'll be friends with them again?", Miyoung asked me on the way home.

     "I think we'll always be friends", I said as I stared out the car window, "But I just can't be with them right now..."

     "But you saw Jaehyun..."

     "Yeah, and after seeing him, I was just reminded how dangerous it is to know him"