➸ CHP 11

"How come Miyoung doesn't remember you?", I asked.

     "She does.", Jaehyun replied, "That's why she stayed to talk to me the day I came back to your place"

     "Why didn't she tell me, then?", I asked.

     "She didn't want to hurt you."

     I took a deep breath. There was a lot I didn't know about I guess. "Jaehyun?"

     "Yeah?"

     "I get it if I forgot you after getting my 'memory erased', but wouldn't I remember you if you still came over after that incident?"

   "Yeah", he sighed, "You would have. But I didn't keep coming over"

     "And why's that?"

     "Because the whole reason our dads were business partners was to form the NewKidd mafia.", Jaehyun explained,  "When I turned six, my dad had me start training to be with NewKidd. We moved further from your town and I didn't see you much after that. I saw you once or twice here and there."

     I could tell that Jaehyun didn't like talking about this part of his life, so I stayed quiet like Taeyong had told me to do earlier that day.

     "Go ahead", I gripped Jaehyun's hand, "I'm listening, ok? If you don't want to say any more, you don't have to"

     He nodded, "I started training with Hansol...Ji Hansol. He and I were really close as kids, and so my dad put him and I together since we trusted each other"

     Jaehyun scratched the back of his head, "You have to realize that the only reason any of us here are in a mafia is because we're doing what we think is right"

     "Understood", I mumbled.

     "So when I was younger, my dad explained to Hansol and I what the NewKidd mafia was all about.", he said, "And I didn't agree with it"

     I stared at the side of Jaehyun's face. He was kind of out of it; just staring at nothing in front of him.

     "I secretly started training with NCT", he continued, "And Hansol lied to me, telling me that he wanted to train with NCT, too. He said that he didn't agree with the NewKidd policies either."

     "That was a lie, huh?"

    Jaehyun nodded, "He learned everything about NCT; all our tactics, back up plans...", he swallowed hard, "And in the end, he left all of us..."

     He turned to me and looked me in the eyes. He tried to smile, but I knew it was hard for him.

     "Even the people you grow up with might not even be trustworthy."

     "Lucky for me", I said, "Miyoung hasn't let me down"

     "Miyoung's great", he said, "Be there for her, too"

     "I know"

     Jaehyun and I didn't say anything for another twenty minutes. There was a lot for me to take in, and the night was way too pretty to ignore.

     "Ok, its getting late. You should probably get to bed", Jaehyun told me. 

     We stood up.

     I turned and faced him.

     "What?", he asked.

      I gave him a hug, resting my head on his chest, "Thanks for telling me"

     I heard him laugh a bit. His rested his big hand on my back and his head on mine.

     After that night, I realized that Jaehyun was sensitive. He did care. And I didn't think he had either of those feelings and ambitions in him. I guess I really misunderstood him.