➸CHP 38

"Wait...", Jaehyun stopped running and turned around.

      "What do you mean 'wait'?", I said as I caught my breath, "We need to get home and tell the others what's going on"

     "Yeah, but...", Jaehyun started walking in the other direction back towards the room my dad was in.

     "Jaehyun-hyung, what the hell are you doing?!", Mark stared at Jaehyun.

      "There was someone in there I know", Jaehyun replied.

      Before we knew it, he already turned the corner and was out of sight.

      Mark just stared at him.

      "Well don't just stand there!", I said to Mark, "He's gonna get himself hurt"

     "He's been so reckless lately", Mark said, "Alright, lets go."

     The two of us started running.

     "He went back to that room we were just by", Mark said.

     "I know", I replied, "...Who do you think he 'saw' which made him act like this?"

     "No clue", Mark shrugged his shoulders, "It could be anyone out of the seven billion people on this earth."

      "Well, that's encouraging", I rolled my eyes.

     "Whoever it is", Mark slowed down from jogging, "We're about to find out who it was..."

      "What?"

     Mark didn't say anything; he just pointed ahead of us.

     We saw Jaehyun standing by the doorway, listening to the conversation of my dad and the      stranger he'd been talking to. Jaehyun looked completely out of it; his eyes were blank, almost as if he wanted to cry.

     "Jae?", I whispered as I approached him, "We should get leaving..."

     "We can't", he replied without looking at me.

     "Why not?"

     "Because..."

     "Jaehyun", I glared, "You need to get your ass outside so that we can handle this the proper way"

    Jaehyun looked at me, "Stop telling me to get outside. You don't know who's in there with your dad"

     "Fine", I looked at the ground, "Who's in there, then?"

     He peeked around the doorway for a split second, and then looked back at the wall in front of him. "Hyuna, our dads are working together again"

     I froze. "What? Our dads?"

     "My dad's in there, and he wants to kill you, too", Jaehyun whispered with his lips close to my ear, "And that's not happening tonight"

     "Jaehyun, you're talking crazy talk"

     "No, I'm not", Jaehyun peeked into the room again, "We can stop the chaos ahead of time..."

     "We're gonna hurt ourselves...", I argued, "Its better to get the others"

     "You're gonna be fine", he put his hand on my cheek, "Go get Mark and head home. You can get backup in case something happens"

     "I'm not leaving you here", I said, "That's stupid..." 

     "Look, if all three of us left, there's a chance that there wouldn't be any time left", he said, "So I'll try to take care of it for now, and we'll figure the rest out later"

     "I said", I tightened my grip on the cuff of my jacket, "I'm not leaving you here"

     "Hyuna", Jaehyun looked straight into my eyes, "Save yourself and the everyone else. There are so many more people in the team than just me."

      Maybe I was being selfish. I genuinely cared about Jaehyun, so I obviously didn't even want to risk losing him. But he was right, like he almost always was; we had so many more people at home who's lives were at risk. I wouldn't be making anything better if I stayed with Jaehyun.

     "Ok...", I said under my breath, "I'll go...but you have to promise me not to do anything too wild"

      "I'll try", he winked, "Get going. We don't have too much time left"

     I nodded. "Love you", I forced a smile.

     "Love you, too", he smiled back.

     I let out a sigh and turned around. I tried not to look behind me again.

     "Mark", I said, "We're leaving"

     "Without Jaehyun-hyung?", he asked.

     "I guess...", I said, "We're running out of time, so lets just do what he told us to...even if it seems stupid at the moment"

     Mark raised his eyebrow, "I don't even know what goes on in his head anymore", he said as he looked back at Jaehyun, "But he's a higher rank than me, so if he said to leave, I guess that's what we're doing."

    A small piece of me wished that Mark would put up a fight and get Jaehyun outside safely, but I knew that even if that did happen, Jaehyun would get mad and just stay in the building anyway.

     Mark and I started running back to the parking lot.

     "Ok", I said as I hopped in the van and shut the door, "I'm gonna call the others for backup...I don't trust what's going on in there"

     Mark turned the van on, "Sure thing"

     I picked up my walkie-talkie....

     An explosion. A big explosion.

     "What the-", Mark's head shot around.

     The building we left Jaehyun in exploded...All of it

     Doyoung picked up on the other line of the walkie-talkie, "What's up?", he asked.

     "Oh my gosh, Doyoung?", I walked back out of the car and stood on the pavement, staring at the building, "Doyoung, we need the team here now"

     "Why? What's wrong..."

     "Just hurry up and get here", I pushed back the tears in my eyes, "There's been an accident..."

     I turned my the mic off and dropped on the ground. 

     "I'm sorry, Jae", I cried, "I screwed up again..."